How Cold is your Server Room?

Associate
Cool. No pun intended.
What software/hardware does the SMS thing?

Our email suite. It's a German product called Tobit, and its horrible for the most part, but the email server interfaces with a Nokia phone which allows everyone to send SMS messages from their client. I just set a rule on my mailbox to forward temp warning messages to my mobile.

Don
34c is fine if you use hot aisle containment like we do, it essentially returns the hottest possible air to the AC units to maximise effeciency, we combine the hot aisle with APC networkAIR FM series inline rack AC units, allows our stulz units to work at a much reduced load. also provides us with N+1 AC protection which is good for auditors :cool:

Soldato
Wow just found this old thread as I did a search before making a new one. Seems our server room is one of the coolest on here then @ 16c. We have a very good air con system in there after years of failures and hassle with our old one. My old job, the server room there I literally had to wear a coat in, so I'd say it was nearer 5-10c. Not sure why they had it that cool, but it was a government building with some ridiculous servers in.

Associate
Ours gets very hot sometimes... but then again it's a little office with the heating on along with our two servers.

Associate
I'd say ours is more or less ambient - probably up to about 25C in the summer (the comms room is at the opposite end of the building to the main office so it's always cool)

There is A/C in there already left by the previous tenants of the building so if we end up with more servers, or a particularly hot summer i can just stick it on.

Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of power really, just for a handful of systems.

Associate
24'c in our office server room at the moment.
21'c in our server room in a manchester DC

4/5years ago when we had a lot less servers in the office and no office aircon unit, our PE1850 reported as low as 5'c during the night in winters and just over 50'c during warm summers! You will be glad to hear the PE1850 still beats to this day.

Associate
Ours has been a constant 21C after the aircon upgrade, before that it, it depended if the windows were open and if it was sunny outside :o

Soldato
Around 25 in ours, AC if pretty fail though and it's not really hot/cold aisled.

New data centre being built atm though which should improve things massively but not ready till around Sept :(

Man of Honour
All the ones I've worked in the AC has been set for 20C target... mostly its about 18-21C actual as most people have mentioned above.

Man of Honour
Currently we're using cold aisle containment in all our new centres, currently running around 20 degrees but I have proposals pending to increase the ambient temperature in one to around 27 degrees - the cost savings across the board would be noticeable and the hardware is easily in spec, so we'll see how that goes.

Man of Honour
It would be interesting to see if theres a noticeable difference in the life span of components run with an ambient of say 20C and say 28C.

Back
Top Bottom