How do I get HDR to function in Games?

Soldato
I have a HDR 4k tv and really want to try HDR out. The latest game I have that supports it is destiny 2. I assumed it would be a simple case of turning HDR on in game and the tv would detect that and switch the function On.

This doesn't seem to be the case. The tv doesn't seem to pick the PC up as HDR. If I turn it on within destiny, the colour go mad.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong? I saw a few mention of a creator's windows update when googling but can seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this

*quick addition, I have the correct type of HDMI. I swear it worked once but I can't really remember what game that would have been

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I’m pretty sure you need the latest Windows update (the creators update) to enable HDR.

i have just thought about this and checked, i was out of date so am updating now! may have been just being silly! thanks for the suggestion too, this should have been my go to before posting ;) see how this goes. I was under the impression it would keep up to date by itself

Soldato
OP
Updating windows sorted it for me, with this game at least. Windows was rather out of date. Turned it on in game and the colours seem as they should be and its detected it as HDR on the tv. Destiny 2 looks pretty nice now!

It seems a bit of a messy area, HDR. Mileage seems to vary for users

Soldato
I have a HDR 4k tv and really want to try HDR out. The latest game I have that supports it is destiny 2. I assumed it would be a simple case of turning HDR on in game and the tv would detect that and switch the function On.

This doesn't seem to be the case. The tv doesn't seem to pick the PC up as HDR. If I turn it on within destiny, the colour go mad.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong? I saw a few mention of a creator's windows update when googling but can seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this

*quick addition, I have the correct type of HDMI. I swear it worked once but I can't really remember what game that would have been

Let me get this straight, but i can help
1) not all games support HDR but destiny is one of those - https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Speci...Feature-2Fintro/outrotemplate=Feature-2Foutro

2) Make sure your using a good HDMI cable. (one that supports the bandwidth) otherwise you will get weird issues (trust me been their)

3) Make sure your Windows is on the latest update.

4) Try an turn on HDR in the windows options (in the same area as resolution settings) - this will force HDR 24/7 on by default (if thats what you want)

5) if your having issues, On nvidia you can manually set the colour options. even though i could go to 12bpcs, 10bcps works best for me.

Try setting
YrBCR422
10bpc
limited range

this worked flawlessly for me.

you mostly certainly know when HDR is on once you launch a game! colours are very bright in places

for reference im using
Panasonic 902B
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-58dx902b.html

Soldato
OP
Let me get this straight, but i can help
1) not all games support HDR but destiny is one of those - https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special:Ask/-5B-5BCategory:Games-5D-5D-20-5B-5Bhigh_dynamic_range::true-5D-5D-20OR-20-5B-5Bhigh_dynamic_range::hackable-5D-5D/-3FDeveloped-20by/-3FPublished-20by/-3FRelease-20date/-3FAvailable-20on/-3Fhigh_dynamic_range/format=template/limit=100/template=Feature-2Frow/introtemplate=Feature-2Fintro/outrotemplate=Feature-2Foutro

2) Make sure your using a good HDMI cable. (one that supports the bandwidth) otherwise you will get weird issues (trust me been their)

3) Make sure your Windows is on the latest update.

4) Try an turn on HDR in the windows options (in the same area as resolution settings) - this will force HDR 24/7 on by default (if thats what you want)

5) if your having issues, On nvidia you can manually set the colour options. even though i could go to 12bpcs, 10bcps works best for me.

Try setting
YrBCR422
10bpc
limited range

this worked flawlessly for me.

you mostly certainly know when HDR is on once you launch a game! colours are very bright in places

for reference im using
Panasonic 902B
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-58dx902b.html

Thanks for all the info, as I say it seems to be working now that I am up to date in windows! So far this is the only game I've fancied trying it with but appreciate all these tips! So if it seems to be working I dint need to mess about in Nvidia I guess? Or are those settings needed on top of normal functionality?

Associate
Anyone else finding HDR to cause problems with windows? I have found , if i restart with hdr enabled in windows. My PC will show a black screen for atleast 1 minute at startup, then when i finally displays, it is pink for about 3 seconds. Also, alt tabbing out of destiny whilst HDR is on has hardlocked my pc twice.

Soldato
Thanks for all the info, as I say it seems to be working now that I am up to date in windows! So far this is the only game I've fancied trying it with but appreciate all these tips! So if it seems to be working I dint need to mess about in Nvidia I guess? Or are those settings needed on top of normal functionality?

Not needed, but for example if HDR sets
A lower bpc or sets 420 when your capable on 422 then your just losing colour to make your experience better

You can also do this under the HDR toggle by clicking advanced colour settings.

Try and go as high as possible regarding colour space bit depth

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not needed, but for example if HDR sets
A lower bpc or sets 420 when your capable on 422 then your just losing colour to make your experience better

You can also do this under the HDR toggle by clicking advanced colour settings.

Try and go as high as possible regarding colour space bit depth

Thanks, I will have a look! I'm not clued up on all this. How do I know what bpc its capable of?

Ta

Soldato
Thanks, I will have a look! I'm not clued up on all this. How do I know what bpc its capable of?

Ta
without being to technical
(Windows should only show you what it supports) if this fails the screen may go odd & return after 30 seconds (just like resolution)

Bit depth - is the amount of different colours per pixel the display can do.higher the bit depth more colours it can produce. most tvs are around 8bit Some are 10Bit & some advertise 12Bit but their 10Bit with some AI to "guess" the extra bits

colour Sampling - or Commonly shown as RGB 4:4:4 /YUV 4:4:4 - The numbers represent how many colours on each channel it can display - Whilst 4:4:4 is used in content mastering, UHD is distributed via 4:2:0.

General rule (Try go high bit depth as possible - try 4:2:2)

You cant do 4:4:4 & 10bit + due to bandwidth. (if you want 60hz)

Optimal would be:
10bit @ 4:2:2 or 12bit @ 4:2:2

Soldato
OP
without being to technical
(Windows should only show you what it supports) if this fails the screen may go odd & return after 30 seconds (just like resolution)

Bit depth - is the amount of different colours per pixel the display can do.higher the bit depth more colours it can produce. most tvs are around 8bit Some are 10Bit & some advertise 12Bit but their 10Bit with some AI to "guess" the extra bits

colour Sampling - or Commonly shown as RGB 4:4:4 /YUV 4:4:4 - The numbers represent how many colours on each channel it can display - Whilst 4:4:4 is used in content mastering, UHD is distributed via 4:2:0.

General rule (Try go high bit depth as possible - try 4:2:2)

Optimal would be:
10bit @ 4:2:2 or 12bit @ 4:2:2

Appreciate that post, thanks :) always wondered what it all meant!

Caporegime

Colours per channel? What's that mean?

And is the bandwidth limitation a HDMI 2.0 problem? Is it fixed with HDMI 2.1?

Soldato
Colours per channel? What's that mean?

And is the bandwidth limitation a HDMI 2.0 problem? Is it fixed with HDMI 2.1?

It's displayed as
X - lumanice
:
X red colour + luma
:
X blue colour + Lima

Lumanice is sampled more due human sensetivity to brightness of colours

Hdmi 2.1 should be fine. We need around 23Gbps for 4k60 4:4:4

Soldato
Interestingly, 4:4:4 at 4K is apparently a waste of time. Although there are quality differences between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, the high resolution renders the difference negligible. It seems that even UHD Bluray are encoded at 4:2:2 which I only round out recently.

In short, don’t get hung up about enabling 4:4:4!

Associate
Interestingly, 4:4:4 at 4K is apparently a waste of time. Although there are quality differences between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, the high resolution renders the difference negligible. It seems that even UHD Bluray are encoded at 4:2:2 which I only round out recently.

In short, don’t get hung up about enabling 4:4:4!

I'm not sure if i am doing something wrong. But without using 4:4:4 eg 4:2:2, i find it doesn't display text anywhere near as good. Granted i don't see it in movies, but on the desktop it is so clearly worse that i turn 10bit colour down to 8 so that i can use RGB or 4:4:4. It is a pain, i find myself having to toggle settings depending on media i am using. For my uses it is far from negligible.

Back
Top Bottom