How do I get my TV to use my 5.1 PC setup???

Associate
Per title.

I've recently been forced through failure to replace my trusty Z-5500 speakers with the Z-906, having gotten the DTS working from PC to amp I'm impressed with the sound.

My question is this - I have a TV connected through the headphone jack to the PC but this is not taking advantage of the DTS decoding so sounds a little laclustre, it's a Toshiba tv and has an optical audio out on the back. I do not want to switch source via the Z-906 so how do I go about getting better audio from the TV via external connections?? I've seen certain soundcards with optical in/out on them, would this be the best option?

Any advice would be valued :)

Edit: PC uses a Realtek onboard audio chipset and is using the optical out to feed the Z-906. I've had to use the APO driver hack to enable Dolby Audio so looking to use some form of TV -> PC conversion to get DTS via the PC.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You'll need to use the optical connection going by a quick look at the specs.
I was thinking that too, but how?? the PC has no (current) optical inputs, and I've searched for convertors however I'm limited with current hardware, would I need some form of hardware decoder to get this to work? I've seen certain sound cards with optical in and outs, would I need something like this???

Associate
OP
USB TOSlink converter?
A quick search seems to indicate these work the wrong way round, taking a USB-C and outputting to optical, I need the other way round. I have an optical output and need to get this in via the PC to a DTS decoder hooked up to the optical out :( Unless I'm missing something?

Great idea, just the wrong way round...

Soldato
A quick search seems to indicate these work the wrong way round, taking a USB-C and outputting to optical, I need the other way round. I have an optical output and need to get this in via the PC to a DTS decoder hooked up to the optical out :( Unless I'm missing something?

Great idea, just the wrong way round...

In which case you will need a DAC of some sort, either a USB or PCIe sound card would do it as long as it had an optical input.

Associate
OP
Just buy a avr and proper speakers and sub.

You're just trying to bodge things together

I've actually gotten it sorted, I picked up a Soundblaster Z which has an optical in, set the TV to DTS PCM and bingo bango, £20 bodge fix. The room it's in is 8ft x 10ft, I possibly should have mentioned - temporary digs while a nasty divorce rumbles on :(

Spending a fortune on a full blown AV setup just isn't on the cards...

Back
Top Bottom