How do I tell an iPhone that a WiFi network doesn't have internet?

DMZ

DMZ

Associate
How do I tell an iPhone that a WiFi network doesn't have internet and that the iPhone should connect to the WiFi, but use its own 4G connection for internet? The iPhone can obviously see that the WiFi network has no internet, so I don't know why it's being so stubborn about this.

DMZ

DMZ

Associate
OP
Apparently the answer is to set a static LAN address on the router and set the gateway to 0.0.0.0 but of course the router says that's invalid. Gotta love all this equipment.

Last edited:

DMZ

DMZ

Associate
OP
Well I've done that, by backing up the router config, decrypting it, editing it with the right settings, re-encrypting it, and applying it to the dumb router...

And everything is fine. The iPhone shows 4G in the status bar, even though it's connected to the LAN via WiFi and able to talk to things on the network. Yay.

Last edited:

DMZ

DMZ

Associate
OP
Tried changing the iPhone's settings to a static IP, but only filling out the address and subnet mask, leaving default gateway blank?

I hadn't because I didn't see "gateway" in the iPhone WiFi settings, but now I see they call it "router". At least I think that's the same thing. Who knows?

But I think that would require me forfeiting DNS which I don't want to do. It's working now anyway. Cheers

Associate
Tried changing the iPhone's settings to a static IP, but only filling out the address and subnet mask, leaving default gateway blank?

That's what I have done with an Airplay device in the car. Note down the DHCP lease, then switch to Manual/Static and re-add the IP and subnet but leave the gateway field blank.

Back
Top Bottom