How do McDonald's make their burgers

Soldato
I have always found burger cooked in this way very bland beef mince with salt and peper

I usually add a few things from the herb cupboard some finely chopped garlic and add a dash of chili sauce to bind

you can add onion but it will cause it to split, you really need to have it chopped very fine if you do

Soldato
Associate
I have always found burger cooked in this way very bland beef mince with salt and peper

I usually add a few things from the herb cupboard some finely chopped garlic and add a dash of chili sauce to bind

you can add onion but it will cause it to split, you really need to have it chopped very fine if you do

Bland mince/burgers basically means that you've not added enough salt and not cooked long enough/at a hot enough temp. Admittedly store bought mince can be a bit hit and miss, a better outcome is normally from buying some braising steak or brisket and whazzing it in a food processor.

In response to the original post, this video is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcu4Bj3xEyI

Associate
Once you have assembled the burger wrap it in tin foil and put it in a low oven for a few minutes,cheese melts and the buns warm through and soften just like Mcdonalds.

Soldato
I think that I make great burgers. They are so so easy. I tried to replicate 5 guys.

The simplest burger is this:

Beef mince (5%-10% fat), salt, pepper, mix them all together. Split it into balls, then flatten them with your hands until they're maybe 1 cm thick. Fry for maybe 5 minutes.

The best burger is this:

Dice some bacon. Fry it, basically to the stage where you'd be happy to eat it as it won't really cook any more when it's in the burgers.

Beef mince (5%-10% fat), add your bacon, salt, pepper, mix them all together. Split it into balls, then flatten them with your hands until they're maybe 1 cm thick. Fry for maybe 5 minutes.

No need for eggs or bread crumbs.

One thing that I do add sometimes is a little garlic salt and onion granules. I used to add mustard, but I've found the less you take away from the beef taste, the better.

Well I've just discovered a burger press. Not sure if it squeezes water and fat out but should compact the burger.

In my experience, burger presses make the burgers too thick and not large enough. I would consider using one and then flattening the burger out more because they ALWAYS shrink when you cook them.

Soldato
I usually press my burgers between 2 sheets of lightly greased baking paper. Then press down with a heavy chopping board and stack them up in the fridge. They seem to turn out pretty good using this method.

Soldato
Completely agree, Raymond. I don't use mine any more, though I do use an egg poaching ring to get a circular shape on the burgers as there's nothing worse than a malformed patty with weirdly shaped bits falling off.

Soldato
McDonalds burgers are thin and frozen. They then place them on a hot metal surface with a lid that comes down and presses on them for a certain amount of time.

An egg can help bind a burger but it isn’t completely necessary. I find chilling them in the fridge and then when frying do not disturb them much works very well.

hux

hux

Soldato
McDonalds use a mix of cuts for their burgers, generally 80vl fore flank, and fore qtr cut which is generally 90-95vl primal.
So buy some regular cheap mince, and stick some 95vl steak mince in there to lean it up, bit of salt and pepper and that's it.
It's probably more down to the small patty, how old the meat is and how quick it's cooked.

Not the last word in quality but it's far better than people would expect.

As for it being 100% beef, well yes and no it's getting away with it on a technicality, what beef you get is 100% yes but don't forget there's 15-20% fat being thrown in with it.

Back
Top Bottom