How do range extenders work??

Soldato
Apologies of this is a stupid question but how do range extenders like this one work exactly??

I want to improve the WiFi at the opposite end of the house to where the router is and a TP Link mesh network ended up interfering with my Sky Q setup so I'm back to the drawing board!

My question is, do these types of extenders simply extend the existing BT Hub WiFi or will they create a whole new network with its own SSID?

I'm not a huge fan of devices swapping from one network to another so I'm wanting just an extension to the existing network if at all possible!

If these sorts of devices do create a whole new network then another option I've got is to re-task an old router as an access point which I can connect via an existing set of homeplugs?

Any advise welcome!

Soldato
I have the RE450 and it works as a repeater for your existing WiFi network, but the new extended coverage does require a new SSID.

The basic TP-Link routers have a network extension mode which just rebroadcasts the existing SSID, avoiding having mobile devices flitting between SSIDs.

Associate
I recently replaced home plugs as they were a mess and not really a true mesh.
I replaced with tp-link deco p9 which as well as extending range by wifi will also use your electricity supply to boost signal if two mesh devices are having issues communicating. ( i was worried about lots of walls)
Just needed to disable the wifi from ISP router and setup same ssid and password on new mesh network. 3 devices around the house and signal is much better.

Soldato
OP
I recently replaced home plugs as they were a mess and not really a true mesh.
I replaced with tp-link deco p9 which as well as extending range by wifi will also use your electricity supply to boost signal if two mesh devices are having issues communicating. ( i was worried about lots of walls)
Just needed to disable the wifi from ISP router and setup same ssid and password on new mesh network. 3 devices around the house and signal is much better.

I tried much the same with the Deco M5 system - while the WiFi was a bit stronger at the far end of the house, unfortunately they had a negative impact on my Sky Q setup making the Sky mini boxes lose connection requiring a hard reset every day!

The BT Hub WiFi doesn't seem to conflict so I'm really just looking for a way to extend that signal!

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, I've had a look at my spare router (a VR2800) and I can't see any option to "rebroadcast" the existing SSID - I can see the option to use it as an access point but presumably this will simply engage the router's own wireless signals rather than extending the existing WiFi from my BT Hub?

Soldato
OP
Quick update on this - I think I've got it working!

I've basically plugged the TP Link router in to my switch fed off my powerline upstairs, changed the IP address for the TP Link router, set it to AP mode and disabled DHCP.

I then changed both the 2.5 and 5ghz channels to the same SSID and passwords as the BT Hub is broadcasting and it appears to be working!

The only thing I'm not sure about is when I log into the TP Link router's UI there is a speed test - and this fails telling me it's not connected to the internet??

I'm pretty sure it is because if I plug my laptop in via an ethernet cable and turn off the WiFi, I can get online fine!

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Don
That all sounds fine - AP mode with DHCP off is the correct way to reuse an existing Router.

Regarding the UI speed test - I wouldn't worry, that is probably designed for when it is being used as a Router rather than an Access Point

Back
Top Bottom