How do you Configure your Storage Drives?

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas break and a happy new year.

Im just interested in how people have configured their storage in they systems to best maximise performance?

I have a question:

For people that download a lot of stuff (me included) do you have your download folder on your C Drive or seperate drive?
For those that have Windows on NVME m.2 drives im just wondering if its best to keep the download location on this or have it on a seperate drive to reduce read/write?

This is what i am planning for my new build:

- 1Tb NVME PCie x4 m.2 drive for Windows 10 & Apps (on motherboard)
- 1Tb NVME PCie x3 m.2 drive for my music library and work projects (on motherboard)
- 12Tb SATA for my Movies
- 1Tb External drive to backup music and work stuff (will change this for an internal 2Tb SSD in the future)

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Mine is something like this:

Drive 1 - OS and Apps + small page file (some of my programs still need it on C drive)
(Optional) Drive 2 - Games drive for things like steam etc (I don't bother with this at the mo, not enough games to need it)
Drive 3 - Scratch Disk/Page File (photoshop etc)
Drive 4 - Documents/User stuff that windows sets up - kept separate so as to not need to back up on reinstalls (obviously do your 'safety' backups)
Drive 5 - Downloads - just for tidiness

Drive 6 (and/or a nas) - Storage - Long term/archival stuff like movies etc (all backed up of course)

Everything is on an unraid server, plex, downloads(torrents/newsgroups), media. Has 3 x 4TB drives, 2 x 500gb cache drives.

What do you guys use Cache/Scratch drives for?
Genuinely intested. I use a lot of AutoCAD but i have 64Hb of RAM so will having a scratch/cache drive help/improve performance?

Back
Top Bottom