How do you control the speed of a D5 PWM pump?

Associate
Hi guys,
In a right pickle at the moment with this pump and need some help please:)

I purchased an Alphacool Laing D5 VPP655 PWM pump which has an a Alphacool top on it.

I have powered it using the molex but whenever I attach the 2 pin PWM wire to my motherboard cpu header it runs the pump at full speed.

Whenever I unplug the PWM from the motherboard it throttles right down.

I have changed settings in my bios but to gain.

Have I got a duff pump?

I knew I should have stayed with the D5 vario.

Any ideas guys?

Associate
Nah mate, it's fine. When the PWM header is removed, the D5 PWM defaults to about 60% PWM signal rather than 100%. When you connect it to a proper PWM header then you default to 100% (or last saved setting anyway) and then you can control it properly.

Associate
OP
Nah mate, it's fine. When the PWM header is removed, the D5 PWM defaults to about 60% PWM signal rather than 100%. When you connect it to a proper PWM header then you default to 100% (or last saved setting anyway) and then you can control it properly.

My BIOS has settings for the CPU_OPT and CPU headers but when I change them to either Normal, Silent, Manual or Fast it doesn't change the speed of the pump.

Soldato
I'm assuming he has a gigabyte board so you should download the smart fan software. You should be able to create your own fan curve and manually set the speed.

Associate
OP
Gigabyte app centre and speedfan don't work. Time to get rid of the D5 PWM because if I cant control the speed of it I don't see the point of having it fitted. I knew I should have just stayed with the DDC pump that worked great for 6 years or so until it gave up the ghost.
Cheers for the help guys.

Associate
Personally I run mine using a Aquacomputer aquero 5LT.

Runs pump and all my 10 rad and case fans I also run 6 separate temperature sensors, great tool if you're watercooling and as its microprocessor controlled, once all setup its doesn't require windows .

Back
Top Bottom