How do you deal with hardware FOMO?

Associate
(Not sure if this belongs here! If there's a better subforum for it, please feel free to move it)
This is something I've always semi wondered, but probably been a bit embarrased to ask in a general forum. How do you all deal with FOMO when it comes to new hardware releases, etc?

Obviously this is very situational, but I feel like there must be a ton of people here that must pop on the OC forums, ask for advice, make their purchase and then disappear for 5 years, right? That's what I feel like I've been doing forever, but It doesn't come from a lack of interest in tech or the industry. For me, sometimes It's FOMO. Or not wanting to see the purchase I made 6 months ago be completely out performed by something new, even though this will always happen regardless as its the nature of the industry.

I'm not in a position to upgrade every GPU/CPU generation, as I'm sure a lot of us aren't and probably wouldn't be interested in doing so even if we could justify it. But for some reason I feel it's harder for me to regularly touch base on hardware developments knowing that it's going to be a long time before I feel those benefits. Then, as if almost to keep out of site out of mind and refrain from temptation, I just don't return very often.

I say this because I'd like to see if anyone else feels the same, and if you don't, how do you avoid feeling like everyone is getting the shiny new toy whilst you stand by and watch? I like these forums, and the general 'old school' feel of them. I'd like to not just pop up when something breaks or I'm ready to upgrade a component. So I'd like to see if there's any tips people have for enjoying the discourse without that feeling of fomo.

I'll bookend this with the fact I do have ADHD, so I think that plays it's part in the impulsiveness that I try to avoid. But definetely not all of it!

I say this because I'd like to see if anyone else feels the same, and if you don't, how do you avoid feeling like everyone is getting the shiny new toy whilst you stand by and watch?
For me it is pretty simple, does my PC do what I need? If it does, then an upgrade is just a luxury.

The first thing we always ask with a new spec is: what resolution do you play games at? The reason that is important is because there's a baseline of playability with AAA games and so long as you hit that, it is all good.

The majority of upgrades that we see on this forum aren't about need, ..which I guess you'd expect on an enthusiast forum, e.g. they have a CPU/GPU combo that can push 100+ fps, but upgrade it anyway for fun, or whatever.

That's always something I keep in mind when I read/watch benches of new hardware, does this matter for playability? For the most part, if you buy a decent £1k-£2k build, then unless you HAVE to play games with every new shiny turned on, new releases will be irrelevant to you for 4-5 years, at least on that level.

Last edited:
As tetras said
There's a difference between need and want
I would imagine a very high % of people
Their pc is actually way above what their needs are
Example people buy 16 core cpus
But never actually do anything that fully utilises them

And again in games
If you're already pushing huge amount of fps
Would a small amount more matter
Same with putting every game setting on ultra
Does it actually look much better than one high/very high

Last point would be
Don't forget there are many other sections to
These forums that aren't pc related
You should be able to find a subject that interests you
And not only pop up every now and then
If that worries you
And of course you are missing probably the best part
Of the forums (just my opinion)because you don't have
A higher post count despite being a long term member
Which would be access to members market

For me it is pretty simple, does my PC do what I need? If it does, then an upgrade is just a luxury.
Oh yep, I very much subscribe to this. And before my 2070S died, I was quite happy with everything it was running. I mean, It was getting to the point at 3440x1440 (5800X3D) that some games could maybe dip into the 50s on the settings I was using, but I was quite happy with it. Not enough to drop a ton on a new build just yet. But I was here for new gpu advice, and then ended up reading a ton of other stuff and enjoying it, then asked myself why do I leave once the purchase is made. This was the answer I came up with :cry:

Diablo 4 was the start of me wanting something a tiny bit more capable. Then Helldivers, and now I'm thinking ahead to Monster Hunter: Wilds, knowing it might be badly optimised like Dragons Dogma 2 was.
And of course you are missing probably the best part
Of the forums (just my opinion)because you don't have
A higher post count despite being a long term member
Which would be access to members market
Yes! I've been hearing about the members market since I joined, but like you said, very low post count for the 16 years I've been a member. I've read a lot in that time, but I should make an effort to add to the discussion more and eventually gain access to that forum.
I am the polar opposite, really need to justify purchases to myself.
I'm very much the same tbh. I go a very long time without spending anything on the PC and being very frugal. And then BOOM, I go from 'I'm fine' to 'new gpu' to 'new build' within a few days. But then again, I'll be happy for a long while.

Sadly I have to admit it
I had to Google what FOMO meant lol

BUT
at least I do have MM access :cry:

Sorry shouldn't rub it in lol
But especially if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware
Some of the guys are very generous
With their prices on somewhat older but still capable hardware
Last I knew it's 1,000 posts for MM
Just need to tell yourself for next 3 months
I will make around 9 posts a day in the forums and you're in
Like I said there's so many sections not pc related
9 posts a day is actually a very easy target to set yourself

Promise not to mention MM again lol
Think you'll have the idea now it's not something
You should pass up the chance to be part of
It covers a bit more than only pc components
Gadgets,game codes,gift vouchers to name a few

I'm not sure that I get FOMO exactly, I just upgrade when I feel the need.

Unfortunately, I've recently switched to using my 4K TV for the majority of my gaming. Usually given the types of games I'm playing that's fine, but my 4070 struggles with one or two titles to the extent I'll probably sell up and upgrade to a 5080 once they launch.

Credit Card Mostly..

And new shoes for the wife
I'm pretty sure my first ever build went on a credit card when I was in my early twenties. I didn't make that mistake again lol. The mistake being using the credit card and then doing my best to ignore it. Now I just use the no interest as a personal finance calculator. Sure I could buy a new GPU outright! But why do that when I can just put back £50 a month for 18 months and never feel the hit :cry:

Those must be some expensive shoes!

I'm not sure that I get FOMO exactly, I just upgrade when I feel the need.

Unfortunately, I've recently switched to using my 4K TV for the majority of my gaming. Usually given the types of games I'm playing that's fine, but my 4070 struggles with one or two titles to the extent I'll probably sell up and upgrade to a 5080 once they launch.
I've thought about doing this when I have a 4080/5080. I got an LG C1 a few years ago and I do love gaming on it. I just logistically don't want to move the TV into the office, and don't really want to move my PC in the living room :/

I've thought about using moonlight on the Steamdeck to dock the deck to the TV, then stream from the PC. No idea how that would pan out though.

I've thought about doing this when I have a 4080/5080. I got an LG C1 a few years ago and I do love gaming on it. I just logistically don't want to move the TV into the office, and don't really want to move my PC in the living room :/

I've thought about using moonlight on the Steamdeck to dock the deck to the TV, then stream from the PC. No idea how that would pan out though.

I've never tried the streaming method, I've heard some positives about it though.

I use my PC as a media centre in my entertainment/tv room, the TV acts as second monitor to an ultrawide for me. I can't stand controller/couch gaming for RTS/FPS type titles, but I've found myself playing RPG's and even the odd racing game more and more. A nice comfy couch and big 65" screen with a pad makes for a much more enjoyable experience with those imo.

I've never tried the streaming method, I've heard some positives about it though.

I use my PC as a media centre in my entertainment/tv room, the TV acts as second monitor to an ultrawide for me. I can't stand controller/couch gaming for RTS/FPS type titles, but I've found myself playing RPG's and even the odd racing game more and more. A nice comfy couch and big 65" screen with a pad makes for a much more enjoyable experience with those imo.
100%. I couldn't get into Elden Ring on PC. I Felt too glued to the desk, sitting upright, couldn't immersive myself and relax. Got it on PS5 last winter and 150hrs flew by just like that.
Saying that, I work from home less now, and that's helped with me being able to relax in the office more.

The prices are out of control and have ruined the fun of upgrading for many people, games have been going downhill also.

I think it depends on what you play tbh, in my case the past two years have been the best gaming-wise that I can remember in a very long time.

If you're into souls-likes and RPG's (Japanese especially), and indies things have been going really well, next year looks to be excellent too.

The main problem with them is finding the bloody time, outside of the indies they're not really things you can pick up for a quick session.

I tend to want to get the most out of my purchases when it comes to components, so will build something to last for as long as possible. I also set aside 1% of my net income for PC and games purchases. That helps me look at limiting myself to spans of 5 to 10 years, which makes me think about it analytically rather than wanting things regardless of cost.

Back
Top Bottom