How do you deal with hardware FOMO?

Just as I'm adding items to my basket I remind myself:
- how many days of work the bill comes to and whether I'd voluntarily go to work for x number of days in exchange for the item
- that I barely spend any time playing games
- that I enjoy ogling new tech more than actually using it

I just think if I don't buy this 4090, RAM etc what else can I buy with the same amount of money. That works. Usually it's paid mods for games or another unneeded round of retail therapy lol.

I've never been able to justify the money really so have always just built as big as I can afford then got to the point of something breaking before building again. Any 'upgrades' are to replace broken parts these days which happens very rarely.

Yeah I'd love to have the latest and greatest but 90% of the time now I'm Web browsing on my PC and the other 10% is playing games that came out years ago anyway.

Game FOMO is much bigger and it takes a lot of discipline for me to not buy a new game knowing that I'll maybe play 10 hours of it in the next year. Got much better at this though and I've forgotten the titles of most of the games I have listed after at the time of release.

20 years ago I would upgrade almost every 2 years. Since SSD's were released that dropped to every 3 years. My last upgrade was to Ryzen 3. Both PC's do what I want currently. Only itch I want to scratch is the GFX card in one of them (RX570 I 'inherited' from my Nephews last upgrade) But I don't play PC games anymore, Martin Lewis once said buy only what you need, not what you want. So I don't need a GFX card. However my car Stereo packed up this week, I needed a replacement so that was upgraded to a 3rd party one. I wanted bluetooth and the old one didn't have that.

Back
Top Bottom