How do you office workers cope with warm temperatures?

Soldato
I work in a very large building with an open interior, i'd say 90m x 110m which is on 2 tiers, there's got to be nearly 1000 PC's & Monitors in there too, if not more, that's a lot of heat being kicked out.

Unfortunately i'm stuck in the top tier of the building and as heat obviously rises we get all the warm air, the air temperature generally hovers between 27 - 30c where i sit.

Now considering i am the sort of person that finds 10c quite comfortable weather for wearing a t-shirt, 29c is a nightmare when you are trying to concentrate on anything more complex than sleeping whilst at the same time are wearing "Business Dress :rolleyes: ".

I keep finding myself just sat there looking at my screen not taking in half of what the customer on the other end of the phone is saying, also seems to put me in an "I'm ****** off & cant be arsed anymore" mood and just generally makes me feel tired like i've been at work all day when i've only been there 2 hours.

Anyone got any tips on keeping cool?, and dont suggest fans or any other plug in electrical equipment as they wont let us use the mains supply :mad: .

JayMax said:
Have a wander into the server room to check on some random event :)

If i worked in IT i would, but i dont. It's a call centre and they moan at you for not being sat at your desk when they want you to be.

Cant wait to get out of this stupid company & start plumbing, but i'm stuck here till at least February, ARGH!!!!!

Ah, sorry mate. Your description of the environment and your employer must have made me think you work in IT :p

Edit: You can get USB powered fans.

Do you have to wear business dress for a call centre? When I worked in one they didn't care what I wore provided it wasn't a football strip or too revealing (although I think that was more aimed at the girls) so coping with the heat was relatively easy.

I might suggest searching for another job in the meantime until your plumbing starts, also have a quiet word in your managers shell-like and ask if you can't dress down given you are in a non-customer facing role. Actually I still wear jeans and a t-shirt and I'm technically in a customer facing role as a site admin but no one seems to give a stuff and I okied it with the manager anyway so they might not be too bothered. :)

Ive worked in two offices where the temperatures go through the roof in the summer, were quite lucky as if we complain enough they tend to bring in portable aircon units. My previous work place was a nightmare as it had no windows that could be opened where as the office im in now has. The problem aslo is you can never please everyone, you open the window cos its like 95degress then someone complains there cold..........

There is no max temp in the uk for working. Unless your office has its own rules? but talk to a manager and tell them it effects your work, they will prob try to do somthing rather than having you lay about all day at work.

semi-pro waster said:
Do you have to wear business dress for a call centre? When I worked in one they didn't care what I wore provided it wasn't a football strip or too revealing (although I think that was more aimed at the girls) so coping with the heat was relatively easy.

Yes we do, they got rid of having to wear ties last summer, which was good as i kept refusing, but now they keep moaning at me for not having my shirt tucked in.

Really dont see why they expect "Business Dress" as no one can see us.

Thing is, they have a decent air conditioning system, they wont bloody use it!

Iamzod said:
Yes we do, they got rid of having to wear ties last summer, which was good as i kept refusing, but now they keep moaning at me for not having my shirt tucked in.

Really dont see why they expect "Business Dress" as no one can see us.

Thing is, they have a decent air conditioning system, they wont bloody use it!

i am guessing you work for one of the many outsource companies in rotherham?
most (if not all) of the buildings in Dearne Valley should have air con. Are you one of the ones who works for TSC (in the old T-Mob building)? if so, that definitely has air con and you should be complaining to facilities about it.

Business dress, it is not about being seen, its about the way you portray yourself over the phone. look smart act smart etc.
i have seen many internal studies where productivity clearly drops on a dress down day / week.

Back
Top Bottom