How do you Play a DVD under Windows 98

Associate
OP
Cool... thanks for that I'll give PowerDVD 5.1 a try I'll see if I can find the key for it as well. The two files might just fit on two 3.5 floppy disks :D

Back in the day I saw a computer that played DVD's and it looked very nice with a set of wooden harman kardon PC speakers that sounded amazing and I always wanted a PC like that but I could never afford one at the time, I think it was a Pentium II or III running Windows 98. Its nice when you can build that retro PC you always wanted from back in the early days.

I've got a pair of harman kardon speakers now to go with it and a Sound Blaster card all's I need is a CRT monitor.

There's nothing like watching a DVD on a CRT monitor on a retro computer running Windows 98 with a decent set of PC speakers. Although the retro build I did has a Intel Pentium 4 processor and motherboard that isn't period correct, you'd never know as it behaves like a top end Intel Pentium III computer. Everything else is period correct like the sound card and video card, etc etc.

I'll give that PowerDVD 5.1 a go and see how things go.

Man of Honour
I used to use a hardware MPEG2 decoder card. Mainly as it was so easy to set the region code, turn off macrovision, use a remote and so on as I needed.

Probably still got it somwwhere.

Associate
OP
That's interesting cos the PC this came with has the most generic looking DVD drive. POST identified it as Matsuio or something.
It could be something to do with the software I downloaded, maybe there was something missing from it.

I know with some old DVD player software it will have a list of several branded DVD drives that it supports.

Associate
OP
I did it. I found the software kinda by accident when I was looking for other software for my Windows 98 SE pack. Its pretty decent but I had to spend time looking for a product key to install the DVD software and it all worked. I can now watch DVDs in Win95/Win98/2000 brilliant. :)

Back
Top Bottom