How does the quest 2 work?

Associate
Hello all. I currently have a rift 1. It's been superb but I bought a quest 2 for my son on WiFi tethered and It's soo much better.

My question is the rift worked via the graphics card. When the quest 2 uses its own compute. When the quest 2 is wired or WiFi tether does it use the pcs graphics? If so how when it's not connected via the GPU just a usb 3?

Cheers
baker0

Soldato
The Quest 2 is something like an Android phone inside the headset to run its own games. When you use the link cable, the GPU in your PC does all the work, and it sends it to the Quest 2 in a compressed video stream which the onboard hardware decompresses to display it. So you will lose some quality from the compression bit it's not a huge amount.

Associate
I've got a Quest 1 and 2 that I use over VD - the freedom it gives you Vs the Rift is fantastic (I used to have a Rift 1 too but sold on after getting my Quest 1) - so I'd recommend this too (think VD is about £15 on the Oculus Store) - but remember you have to sideload the update for VD to get streaming working.

One thing you'll notice though between your Rift and Q2 is the grey haze you'll see in dark scenes on the Q2 Vs the Rift due to the LCD screen in the Q2 (Rift is OLED), so I'd recommend still hanging onto the Rift for any games that have any particularly dark sections.

Back
Top Bottom