How fast is your Photoshop ?

Associate
Just got a new PC so wanted to try this.

6.6 seconds.

CS5
Win 7 64bit
Core i7 960
6GB Triple Channel DDR3 RAM
1 TB SATA HD.

EDIT:

Just found this handly little program to display my system specs:

Last edited:
Associate
Reckon a high resolution photo would be suitable? I can upload one and update the op :)

I wouldn't update the OP as this will throw all the old results out. Perhaps start a "HD" version thread and linky to this one?

Soldato
Something like an 8bit Tiff from a 5DMKII RAW file wouldn't be a bad shout. It's kinda the upper limit of common files and still isn't really *that* big. Not sure where it can be hosted. Also if you're doing a new thread, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make an action more akin to the Retouch Artists speed test. That's actually what I thought this thread was for, completely forget about spinning pony!

Man of Honour
OP
I don't think the format of the original image matters because the processing time is going to be the same jpeg or tiff - Internally it's processed the same way no? Jpegs are loaded as bitmaps during processing, they get saved as jpegs upon saving.

Hosting isn't a problem :p

Never heard of Retouch Artists speed test though!

Soldato
The Retouch Artists test was the one doing the rounds a couple of years back, got pretty popular. Just consisted of a few different things like duplicating layers, cropping, changing colour spaces, sharpening, upsizing, adding a border. Kinda common tasks done in Photoshop. Problem was the source image was a 3.5mb jpeg or something, so computers were doing the whole action inside of 3gb of RAM and not actually giving you a good representation of how fast your computer would handle editing something worth using Photoshop for (IE an 8/16bit TIFF from a DSLR). It was pretty much just telling you how fast your CPU was, and well, plenty of things can do that. As soon as you fed the same action a 35mb tiff it started to inspect more aspects, like increased RAM capacity, scratch disk speed, was a much more rounded test.

Soldato
Is this still the horse image, and what resolution should it be at?

Because I'm doing this in about 1.3 seconds, something like that, put it this way. I click start, look up and press stop...

Running an i5 at stock with CS4 (64 Bit)
8GB RAM.
SSD.

kd

Back
Top Bottom