How good is Women's football?

Soldato
It's not like I ever sit down to watch even a Championship game unless Forest are involved or have something resting on the outcome.

That's the problem they'll have, they won't be as good as men, if at all due to physiology, for a long time, people just don't tend to watch "2nd best" unless they're emotionally involved, and that will take time too.

Man of Honour
I do think Women's football has improved especially in two areas:
1) Interplay is better, 10+ years ago it was very much like school football where you would often see a single player doing a slalom run with little opposition and then score with a tame shot
2) Keepers are improved, they are now mediocre instead of completely hopeless. Traditionally any shot in the top portion of the net would often result in a goal, at least they are keeping things out now

Really don't know what sort of standard England would compete in, somewhere below Conference level at least.

Soldato
Tbh honest it's not comparable, you should really look at women's football as it's own sport in isolation then trying to compare it to a the mens game. They should also shrink the size of the goal for women's matches to make it fairer on the keepers who have to try and keep the ball out of goal that was designed for a man playing football rather then women.​

Man of Honour
Tbh honest it's not comparable, you should really look at women's football as it's own sport in isolation then trying to compare it to a the mens game. They should also shrink the size of the goal for women's matches to make it fairer on the keepers who have to try and keep the ball out of goal that was designed for a man playing football rather then women.​

I think the bigger the game gets the less this will be a problem. You don’t see many top keepers in the men’s game that are under 6 foot but for some reason the women’s game seems to be plagued with very short keepers. A quick google for tallest female keepers suggests that they top out around 6 foot, Hope Solo is only 5’9”!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

wasnt there a clip somewhere of an old man harry Redknapp running circles around the england womens team? was within 2 or 3 years ago I think

Man of Honour
OP
wasnt there a clip somewhere of an old man harry Redknapp running circles around the england womens team? was within 2 or 3 years ago I think

Harry Redknapp had a two parter on earlier this year where old English players were going up against old German players, I think it was mentioned above by me.
Anyway, while totally unfit our men played Crystal Palace ladies and still beat them.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Harry Redknapp had a two parter on earlier this year where old English players were going up against old German players, I think it was mentioned above by me.
Anyway, while totally unfit our men played Crystal Palace ladies and still beat them.

yeah something like that.

Jesus, the level in womens football is so unbelievably low, yet retarded feminists want equal pay

Soldato
I don't think women's football is too bad given how long it's been taken seriously for. The level of coaching and the facilities available are still vastly inferior to the men's game, so it's unreasonable to expect women to be anywhere near as good. I think given time and more funding at grass roots we might see an improvement in the quality of women's football. After all, in sports where the women's game has been established for longer (e.g. tennis and golf) the standard is still lower, but not drastically so. Sure, there's always going to be a power difference in any sport, but from a technical point of view women's tennis players and golfers can be very skilful, even if they can't hit the ball as hard or - in the case of tennis - move around the court as fast.

Associate
agreed about the technical side of things but as far as sports concerned it's more about size, speed and strength. If you're a weak athlete all the skill in the world wont make up for it. Just look at Ozil.

Man of Honour
OP
I've really been enjoying this World Cup, there has been some great football and the Keepers are way better than they used to be however I still know I'm watching the football skills of a well trained 15 year old school boy team.

Soldato

Not really feasible as you'd have to change a lot of goals in this country just on the off chance women do want to play. I personally think the standard is quite poor and over-hyped to the extreme, I've watched the last two world cups and don't think much has improved, the goalkeepers are still awful and the majority of midfielders are just headless chickens.

Back
Top Bottom