How hard is it to do solid tube

Associate
So I've had my pc for couple of years running on watercooling with soft tubing and i finally decided to try and change it to solid tube. I am kind of wondering how hard would it be for me to make the bends and which tubing is better for starter, Acrylic or PETG. My longest run by my calculations would be around 50-60cm from pump to top 360 rad. I wondering what kind of tools i would need and what would be est tubing and fitting size for a new guy like me into solid tube watercooling.

Thanks

Here's my pc right now: https://imgur.com/a/iVsdY

Spec:
CPU: Intel i7 3930k
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb(4x4gb) 2133
GPU: Gtx Titan 6gb
PSU: Corsair AX860i
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500gb x2
HDD: WD Black 4tb

Associate
It's fairly straight forward to do, just need a heat gun and a rubber insert and bend away. I use 16mm fittings as the smaller ones looked silly in the case.

Always buy more tubes than you need as you will make a mistake.

Associate
OP
It's fairly straight forward to do, just need a heat gun and a rubber insert and bend away. I use 16mm fittings as the smaller ones looked silly in the case.

Always buy more tubes than you need as you will make a mistake.
what do you think would be perfect size for NZXT Switch 810 case. I know its a big case, but not sure what kind of tubing would be best size.

Soldato
what do you think would be perfect size for NZXT Switch 810 case. I know its a big case, but not sure what kind of tubing would be best size.

For anything but mini cases where space is a serious issue for the bends, 16mm every time. Anything less looks too small unless you are going for a specific look or just like silly tiny things.

Soldato
Easy enough if your keeping bends to the usual angles, gets tricker with longer runs with more bends but the price of tubing isn't that much get a spare set to use if you do make a mistake or two.

Associate
OP
I'll have some tricky runs going from motherboard top waterblock>CPU>bottom motherboard block>GPU>240 rad at the bottom. Trying to figure out how many fittings ill need, since i would mainly love to use normal fittings with minimal use in 90 degree or 45 degree that i got going from GPU>bottom 240 rad.

Soldato
I'll have some tricky runs going from motherboard top waterblock>CPU>bottom motherboard block>GPU>240 rad at the bottom. Trying to figure out how many fittings ill need, since i would mainly love to use normal fittings with minimal use in 90 degree or 45 degree that i got going from GPU>bottom 240 rad.

Using fittings in-between (i.e instead of a bend) does make it slightly easier, but not as much as you might think. You still need to be very precise with the cuts, otherwise everything ends up wonky, which then defeats the whole purpose of going hard line in the first place. It really isn't very forgiving aesthetically if you get it wrong, but looks stunning when it's done right. I am always dumbfounded when I see people accepting of badly bent tubing running at weird angles all over the place. They'd have been better off going with soft tubing.

I would suggest you get the Monsoon bending and ruler kit... it will make things a heck of a lot easier. There are some good videos on YouTube as well showing you how to use it properly. It does take a lot of patience and planning.

Associate
OP
Using fittings in-between (i.e instead of a bend) does make it slightly easier, but not as much as you might think. You still need to be very precise with the cuts, otherwise everything ends up wonky, which then defeats the whole purpose of going hard line in the first place. It really isn't very forgiving aesthetically if you get it wrong, but looks stunning when it's done right. I am always dumbfounded when I see people accepting of badly bent tubing running at weird angles all over the place. They'd have been better off going with soft tubing.

I would suggest you get the Monsoon bending and ruler kit... it will make things a heck of a lot easier. There are some good videos on YouTube as well showing you how to use it properly. It does take a lot of patience and planning.
What would you recommend, PETG or acrylic tubing for me?

Associate
OP
PETG is definitely preferable... heats, bends and cuts easier, and also less liable to crack.
I have one last question. So my NZXT LED strip is kind of giving off 2 different tones of colour, when i set it to white it shines green and white. So I am thinking of getting Mayhems pastel UV coolant but my question is would RGB LED's be able to activate UV inside the coolant or i have to specifically get UV led strips?

Soldato
Agreed 16mm really is the only way. Bends just fine and 13mm in my opinion is just too small.

Definitely PETG, acrylic from experience looks no different but is a lot harder to use. Cracks while cutting, excessive force on insertion and it will crack. Prone to splintering while bending and heating, cooling etc.

Hardline is not really that difficult. Just a matter of getting an idea of what bend you want. Measuring and bending to the desired shape and trim down to size.

If I were you as well get yourself some fine emery paper and or nail files and a ridgid pipe cutter.

This is the one I use. (Don't sell on OCUK so link not an issue)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9O9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZWI4zb54WE92X

Cuts in seconds and perfectly square each time. Cutting with a junior hacksaw is a huge pain to say the least.

Also get yourself the proper 16mm bending kit. Just makes life easier.

Associate
OP
Agreed 16mm really is the only way. Bends just fine and 13mm in my opinion is just too small.

Definitely PETG, acrylic from experience looks no different but is a lot harder to use. Cracks while cutting, excessive force on insertion and it will crack. Prone to splintering while bending and heating, cooling etc.

Hardline is not really that difficult. Just a matter of getting an idea of what bend you want. Measuring and bending to the desired shape and trim down to size.

If I were you as well get yourself some fine emery paper and or nail files and a ridgid pipe cutter.

This is the one I use. (Don't sell on OCUK so link not an issue)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9O9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZWI4zb54WE92X

Cuts in seconds and perfectly square each time. Cutting with a junior hacksaw is a huge pain to say the least.

Also get yourself the proper 16mm bending kit. Just makes life easier.

Also im looking to replace my Corsair SP120 fans with something much more quiter. Any suggestions on good static pressure fans that are quiet and not loud?

Soldato
Also im looking to replace my Corsair SP120 fans with something much more quiter. Any suggestions on good static pressure fans that are quiet and not loud?

in honesty just get a decent aquaero fan controller. idle at 400rpm and increase to the desired speed dependent on GPU temperature.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-aquaero-6-lt-usb-fan-controller-wc-31j-aq.html

SP120 are still one of the best 120mm radiator fans available. ML120's (i have on my radiators) are also good but they are expensive.

Associate
OP
in honesty just get a decent aquaero fan controller. idle at 400rpm and increase to the desired speed dependent on GPU temperature.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-aquaero-6-lt-usb-fan-controller-wc-31j-aq.html

SP120 are still one of the best 120mm radiator fans available. ML120's (i have on my radiators) are also good but they are expensive.
at the moment i have NZXT sentry 2 fan controller and all fans are connected to it, but its still loud so kind of annoying by it.

Associate
OP
Well if you have it configured right they should idle at around 400rpm. You shouldn't need any more than 7-800rpm for heavy load depending on your radiator setup.
i got 360 rad at the top with 3 fans in push config and 240 rad at the bottom with push config too. and at lowest settings its still quite loud. I can hear fans through my headset pretty easily if I'm not playing music or playing games. But what about LED's mine are dying out right now and i was thinking of getting rgb led strips with controller but was wondering if they would activate UV in the coolant i want to use if they were switched to UV light if they have such a setting.

Soldato
I have one last question. So my NZXT LED strip is kind of giving off 2 different tones of colour, when i set it to white it shines green and white. So I am thinking of getting Mayhems pastel UV coolant but my question is would RGB LED's be able to activate UV inside the coolant or i have to specifically get UV led strips?

No, you need UV cathodes or UV LED (Darkside for example). You will not get UV activation from RGB strips, you need a UV light.

Associate
So if it is your first try at hardtubing, I would suggest going with PETG. Think about how much tubing you need, then double the amount. With PETG you won't need much heat, it will bend easily and you can shape it very well. If you want superior clarity, you may want to switch over to Acrylic. It is harder to bend, even after 2 loops I did in PETG I had a hard time starting out with Acrylic. It's harder to get it to the perfect temperature, the temp. range in which you can bend it easily but it won't bubble/burn is much more narrow than with PETG and it needs a LOT more heat in the first place.

I would recommend using fittings and acrylic/PETG from the same brand if possible. Not always the cheapest option but it will ensure everything will fit perfectly. Some 16mm Tubes don't fit in some 16mm fittings without a lot of force, you don't want to re-order everything because of tolerance issues like that.

Back
Top Bottom