How limiting would my RAM be if I upgraded to Ryzen?

Soldato
I currently have an i5 6400 with 1 module of Crucial 2133MHz 8GB RAM (CT4K8G4DFD8213). From what I've been reading Ryzen performs much better with faster RAM. Mine is only single channel and the slowest speed you can get. I do hear it overclocks quite well though, so I could probably get it to 2666 speeds or maybe 2800 if I'm lucky.

I don't want to pay the extortionate prices for RAM at the moment, so was just hoping to pop this RAM into a Ryzen 1600 build. What do you think?

Oh, another question: if I do decide to buy another module for dual channel, would it matter if it isn't a matched pair? I'd get the same model obviously but just wondering if it would hinder overclocking etc with it not being a pair.

Cheers

Soldato
Very. Given that it's already been shown that Ryzen does indeed benefit quite well from faster RAM, let alone single vs dual channel.

The best RAM for Ryzen requires Samsung B-Die chips, these tend to be rather expensive. However, as been said in another thread, there's a version of Corsair Vengeance LPX that uses it and can be found cheaper.
Or these: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Regardless, a set of say 3200MHz Hynix RAM should still be good for 2666MHz now.

As for matching RAM, it doesn't have to be a "Kit" but preferably the same modules. If you mix, it's best to add some at the same rated speed and timings.

Soldato
OP
Very. Given that it's already been shown that Ryzen does indeed benefit quite well from faster RAM, let alone single vs dual channel.

The best RAM for Ryzen requires Samsung B-Die chips, these tend to be rather expensive. However, as been said in another thread, there's a version of Corsair Vengeance LPX that uses it and can be found cheaper.
Or these: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Regardless, a set of say 3200MHz Hynix RAM should still be good for 2666MHz now.

As for matching RAM, it doesn't have to be a "Kit" but preferably the same modules. If you mix, it's best to add some at the same rated speed and timings.

Cheers. So do you think getting another module of the exact same type (Crucial CT4K8G4DFD8213) for dual channel and overclocking them to 2666mhz would be a good option?

Back
Top Bottom