How long before i die on my bike!

Soldato
Tonight i decided to give my bike the once over, cleaning the gunk from the chain and a wee splash of water over the rest of it.

hhAHhXJ.jpg

I've just looked back through Strava and i bought the bike last May and just over a year and 23 rides (terrible i know) later there's a lovely crack down most of the chainstay :(

Soldato
OP
Soldato
This bit looks almost like a crack
3QN9WIH.jpg.png

But if you look, the protective film is damaged, with what looks like a scratch on the non protected bit of paint, that's probably just filled with chain muck from where the chains slapped the frame

Last edited:
Soldato
But if you look, the protective film is damaged, with what looks like a scratch on the non protected bit of paint, that's probably just filled with chain muck from where the chains slapped the frame
Yup that's exactly it. I've several of them myself, some far worse and possibly through the paint to carbon, but talking to my LBS they're sure it's just the lacquer/paint and not a split in the carbon.

They're only short 'scratch' type marks but I'm paranoid and keep my eye on them, as supposedly carbon cracks look like that at the start, then grow as the carbon moves, splitting the paintwork further as it progresses. :o

It's highly unlikely a carbon frame would split there like that anyway, unless the carbon tube had been crushed in some way.

Back
Top Bottom