• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How long do you think until nvidia announces the 1080ti?

I'd say april-may next year for the Ti. Titan is likely to be released for Christmas/January time.

I'd expect "twice the performance of Titan X"
"Twice the price of Titan X"

Last edited:
If it is as fast as everyone is hoping (double Titan X...?!)...it wont be called a 1080Ti as it wouldnt make sense.

if it is genunally that fast it will be used as a whole new generation ( like the 780)

Never is my guess. I dont think there will be a 1080ti

TI is lower grade Titan chip, if they are thrown away then useful yields will be very bad and Titan price would have to increase a lot.

Maybe they won't call it TI, but there will be cut down Titan chips on sale.

I know the 1080 is just about to drop but I've always felt I made an epic mistake purchasing my 780 back in 2013/14 when I should have gone for the ti.. I'm sure there are other's that think the same too.

They'll release it when they need the leg above AMD but not before they release their Titan X Pascal version first.

Milking the cow slowly...

GP100 won't be used for Titan - no need for so many 64 bit FPUs.

TI is basically Titan chips with some cores disabled to manage yields, without TIs sold yields on Titan would be terrible and price would have to up even higher.

Having said that Nvidia might get new "TI" version using GDDR5X, maybe even Titan - a lot depends on yields of HBM2.

I think it depends if the Titan goes back to its original routes as being a dirt cheap Tesla or goes in the direction of the TitanX as a high end gaming card. GP100 is just not suited to gaming, the FP32 performance compared to the GP194 just doesn't give it an enough advantage for the size of chip and cost of HBM2.

The rumours of a GP102 make a lot of sense, back aly the GP104 scaled up to 500mm^2. This could use HBM2 but I just don't think its worth it. GdDR5x can go to 14Gb/s while the 1080 is only using soe thing Round 10.5Gb/s speeds. The 1080 also only has a 256but interface, 384bit interface and 14Gb/s chips would give twice the memory bandwidth of the 1080 For far lower costs amd complexity.the 1080ti certainly won't need twice the bandwidth so there is plenty of room to play, e.g. 13Gb/s chips on 384bit bus

Edit: the more I think about it the more certain the 1080ti and Titan just won't need HBM, it just doesn't seem to gain anything. nvidia can use Gp100 with its massive margins as a learning experience ready for Volta where HBM2 will hopefully be cheaper and widely available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom