How long does a speeding ticket take to come?

Soldato
If your speedo said 45 you should be fine, ACPO guidelines say they don't prosecute unless you're going 10% + 2mph over (so 46 in a 40) - but your speedo will overread anyway.

Soldato
I was utterly and completely convinced they had to issue (ie make) the ticket within 14 days and from there in they could take as long as they like (within reason) to get it to you?

Either way an indicated 45 in a 40 or for that matter 82 in a NSL is unlikely to get you in trouble.

If you're showing 82 on the motorway there's a good chance you're overreading by up to 10% which would be 74mph putting you safely in the 10% +2mph of 79mph. Thats why so many people, myself included, go sailing past the police at an indicated 85mph feeling smug when in actual fact we're only doing about 76.

Soldato
it puts my mind at rest, but i really hope it was a 40mph limit, thing was.. it was on a slope (like going under an overpass)

Still worried about it :(

Soldato
it puts my mind at rest, but i really hope it was a 40mph limit, thing was.. it was on a slope (like going under an overpass)

Still worried about it :(

if there was a camera it would have flashed and if you were doing 45 in a 40 it most probably wouldn't have cared. Chill! I've got 9 points and even I wouldn't have worried about that!

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I was utterly and completely convinced they had to issue (ie make) the ticket within 14 days and from there in they could take as long as they like (within reason) to get it to you?

They have 14 days to issue it plus they get time to deliver it, I think the wording is 'in the normal course of the post'. That means they have about 2 days to get it to you after the 14 they have to issue it.

Associate
They have 14 days to issue it plus they get time to deliver it, I think the wording is 'in the normal course of the post'. That means they have about 2 days to get it to you after the 14 they have to issue it.

But.... if the DVLA don't have your up-to-date address, the ticket will still be valid if it takes 3 months to catch up with you at your new address :(

Soldato
Yea 45 indicated should be fine, I was doing 82 indicated on a motorway so not so sure ill get off :(

My friend got the letter through on saturday saying he was caught doing 82 on the motorway. He must have been doing 87 indicated though so you should probably be ok.

But how **** is it getting caught for doing 82 on a clear motorway? How is that being dangerous?! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom