How long does your AIO last

Soldato
It is an I nteresting topic. Came across this while watching some YouTube videos. The video I watched suggested average life to failure is 3yrs with moderate usage. 1-2years if it is working 24/7. Anything more than 3yrs is a miracle.

I am curious to see how long AIO last in your system. The basic criteria is that the AIO must be new or second hand with know mileage when you bought it. And how long till you replaced it for failure reason only.

My H100i has lived in my haswell case for 5 years. Not missed a beat. Admittedly I do not use the system all that much. Maybe 1hr to 2hrs each evening. A bit more over the weekend. I recently fitted it into my ryzen build. I inspected it and it was all in fair condition bar the dust. And after the build I was very happy with the thermal performance. 40c idle and 60c all core clocked to 4.1Ghz with 1600AF. I even dared to go to high-ish vcore but the temps were never high.

so I think there is plenty mileage left in my AIO.

let’s see what you got.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I bought a refurbed h100 for £30 in 2013 and it ran multiple generations of CPUs - 2500k/2600k/5820K/3700X and was still working when I sold it with my 5820K last year.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I probably should have said in OP that the video suggested that AIO to last around 3years with moderate usage. If the machine is on constantly they said 1-2yrs. I just can’t believe that is the general consensus or reality.

Man of Honour
The only part that moves in the AIO (acertek design), the pump has a rated life of about 70,000 hours. Or approx 8 years solid use. The h100i v2 on my threadripper rig has been going without being turned off since a few days after the first gen threadripper released.

Soldato
I bought a Corsair H60 second hand about 4 years ago and it's been sat comfortably on an overclocked i5 6600 running at 4.1Ghz. Took it off about 2 months ago due to a system rebuild and noticed the rubber seals around the pipes into the radiator had started to crack. It wasnt leaking but was surplus to requirement anyway and has been thrown out. Wasn't worth the risk.

Man of Honour
The ones I've used/experience of 3 years under heavy use isn't unusual unfortunately - one of the reasons I switched back to tower cooling for most stuff. 3-5 years of moderate use probably isn't far off the mark.

The only part that moves in the AIO (acertek design), the pump has a rated life of about 70,000 hours. Or approx 8 years solid use.

Stuff like issues with seals/pipes or even internal corrosion tends to happen as well.

Man of Honour
The ones I've used/experience of 3 years under heavy use isn't unusual unfortunately - one of the reasons I switched back to tower cooling for most stuff. 3-5 years of moderate use probably isn't far off the mark.

Stuff like issues with seals/pipes or even internal corrosion tends to happen as well.

I would like to see some actual stats on failure rates. A properly seated and sealed AIO in theory should last a lot longer than the 3 years under heavy use imo. Mine is a decent example of that pretty much 3 years old and on a 180w tdp cpu. It's still seemingly as good as the day I got it.

Obviously there will be the outliers like that TR4 AIO that is just a gunk machine.

Man of Honour
I would like to see some actual stats on failure rates. A properly seated and sealed AIO in theory should last a lot longer than the 3 years under heavy use imo. Mine is a decent example of that pretty much 3 years old and on a 180w tdp cpu. It's still seemingly as good as the day I got it.

Obviously there will be the outliers like that TR4 AIO that is just a gunk machine.

They should in theory, probably on average they do. But several mass produced models have a history of not being the longest lasting.

Soldato
I've had my original Corsair H80 running fine for 7 years. Been sitting on a 3570k @4.4ghz for that long. No problems that I'm aware of. Retried it for a Ryzen build last week

Rob

Associate
My old Fractal Kelvin S24 is still working perfectly after about 4-5 years. I drained and refilled it a year or so ago, what came out was perfectly clean. Only changed it to go to a 280mm, but I now realise with that AIO I could have easily just bought a 280mm radiator and some fans, as it is modular with standard fittings.

Soldato
The NZXT Kraken has a 6 year warranty, and Corsair Hydro has a 5 year warranty, so I'd expect them to last at least that long (for those brands at least). I've actually just ordered the Kraken x63, was considering the ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II, but that only has a 2 year warranty, and since they've just massively increased the prices, losing 4 years warranty for the reduced saving (~£35) doesn't really make sense (plus NZXT warranty also covers any parts which are damaged in case of a leak, which I couldn't see advertised anywhere by Arctic)

Soldato
OP
To be honest. I think the fans will wear out faster than the pump? I don’t have the stock fans that came with the AIO. recently I can hear occasional click noises from the fans. So will be replacing those 120mm soon.

Associate
Bought and installed my Corsair H100i about 5 years ago, it's been great all this time and still going strong. But the nice soft blue light soon turned into a dull green-yellow hue and really is an eyesore in my case lol.

Soldato
OP
when it comes to AIO, I guess the 5yr warranty really speaks for itself.

then you have Arctic AIO which technically is the best in terms of performance (and on price), but only 2 year warranty. so does that mean it will be more likely to fail in 2 years.

it is not really a case, oh it failed and therefore I get a new one or replacement from Arctic. But for such a crucial component, if it fails, I would imagine there is a catostrophic effect on the rest of the system - CPU dead, motherboard, RAM, GPU, SSD got flooded and dead. so for such critical element, why would anyone cheap out and not go for a product with longer warranty (by extension, longer service life)...

Back
Top Bottom