How long for a V5 registration document?

Soldato
Hi all, I bought a motorbike 3 weeks ago (3/9/09) and have yet to recieve the registration document. I just got off the phone with the previous owner who says it was about a week after the sale that he sent it off, of course there are postal strikes happening and the process itself to take into account, but surely it wouldn't take longer than 2 weeks?
Does anyone think this is unusual? I have the keeper supplement, if anything has got lost in the post would this be something to fall back on to apply for a new V5?

Soldato
Mine took 2.5 weeks.

You should call them after 4 weeks.

But I'm with you, I think delays would have been caused by Postal Strikes.

Read up on DVLA website. But I'm hoping you photocopied the form before you sent it off? Of course the part you kept will help should anything have been lost.

Soldato
OP
I didn't photocopy it :( the thought didn't even cross my mind! That was a stupid mistake to make.

The DVLA website isn't clear, or either I can't find how long it takes for a V5 to come through, however it says that the previous owner will recieve a letter saying that they are no longer liable for the vehicle which takes up to 4 weeks.

Associate
just wait 3 months then pay them £25.00 for the V5, they proberly tell u they never recieved the change of ownership, happens a lot, just another way of screwing money out of us.

Man of Honour
Mine took 2.5 weeks.

You should call them after 4 weeks.

But I'm with you, I think delays would have been caused by Postal Strikes.

Read up on DVLA website. But I'm hoping you photocopied the form before you sent it off? Of course the part you kept will help should anything have been lost.
How do you photocopy the V5 at someone elses house :confused:

Back
Top Bottom