how long to run prime95 for?

Associate
A 4670k at 4ghz been running for 5 and a half hours at blend settings torture test, was going to do 8 or can i say stable now? Its only for games and photoshop and im getting tired lol.

thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Thanks, yeah i spose ill leave it over night, might as well do a 24 tho to be sure and say i did it the "enthusiasts way" lol , 24 in blend is a 99.9% stable right? Ill go bed and watch tv until it gets to 24 tomorrow, thanks again :) then i can post it up on pc parts picker.

Soldato
15-30 min is fine for general use (Gaming is covered under this catagory) , anything more extreme (encoding/folding) and you will want to test for 12-24 hours. personally I Always use custom: "Number of torture test threads to run" should be automatically be set to 4 or 8 depending on what CPU you have.

"Memory to use in MB" should be set to 512 x # of GB of RAM installed. 4GB x 512 = 2048. 8GB x 512 = 4096.

Max FFT SIZE (in K)typically i set it for 1792

Also before running a test click cancel goto advanced on the top and make sure "Round off checking" is ticked

and finally time to run each FFT size can be left as standard Or go for 5-10 mins.

and run that for as long as you feel you should (remember a lot of this is always down to personal preference)

Soldato
24 in blend is a 99.9% stable right?

Ahn... NO!!

my pc can run prime 24 hours at 1.26v without problems but it crashs if I try to watch videos on my Internet explorer, with 1.28v my pc works perfect.

so the best test is run prime for 2 hours.. then use your pc as normal... if something is wrong.. probably is the overclock.

Associate
OP
Ahn... NO!!

my pc can run prime 24 hours at 1.26v without problems but it crashs if I try to watch videos on my Internet explorer, with 1.28v my pc works perfect.

so the best test is run prime for 2 hours.. then use your pc as normal... if something is wrong.. probably is the overclock.
Thanks ill do a half hour small fft and custom like murah said in morning too then go play some games , listen to music and browse :)

Soldato
Across multiple upgrades and many overclocks I've found that if Prime/Orthos runs for more than about ten minutes without errors, *and* 3DMarkwhatever completes, the build will be fine 99.99%... unless you're doing something really important on that machine. In which case, why are you overclocking? :)

If one of those conditions isn't met, the overclock's not stable. Usually if there's something wrong you find out pretty quickly unless it's a memory error way down at the "far" end of your address range. Memtest will pick that up more reliably, and quickly though.

Associate
i suggest a mild oc at that voltage will be fine,just up the multi until it doesnt boot into windows and then back off the multi by one and then retest with prime for an hour.

Associate
OP
i suggest a mild oc at that voltage will be fine,just up the multi until it doesnt boot into windows and then back off the multi by one and then retest with prime for an hour.
I tried before i started stress testing , but it wouldn't let me move the multiplier, and it is a K series, just couldn't find how to switchbit to manual, the manual says click on the auto its on and i did but no options apeared to adjust ratio to manual, i did turn oc genie off too :/.

Back
Top Bottom