How long until we have our first major AI controversey in the UK?

Soldato
I just read the following article.

And whilst I take the article at face value plainly once positions harden people don't always change there mind when presented with evidence to the contrary. I was just wondering how long until we truely or falsely have a major incident in the UK where someone uses AI wither to commit a major fraud on the public or as an excuse for some percieved wrongdoing? I'm also wondering if it has alrady happned without us notcing.

I've had a lot of fun with midjourney making images and a microsoft product at work has been useful for finding badly stored and collated data. But the risks of AI are plainly moving much faster than society's ability to come to terms with them. I mean social media has been around for more than a decade and we still haven't as a society come to terms with bad actors poisoning the well of public discourse.

Using key words from this thread, I asked AI and they replied.

IxYe7zu.jpg

Last edited:
Thought there already was one with AI art :D

Google made theirs too "woke", so of course it started drawing black nazis. It's hilarious.
Yes I suppose that counts although I'm not sure it committed a fraud as such or similar. I'm waiting for the fake picture or recording that causes a storm. Or rather I'm worried about it what it night be.

Probably not long, I mean the recent riots involved some unusual agitators - IIRC someone in Pakistan and then a bunch of forwarded fake claims in local Birmingham whatsapp groups was enough to convince people that the far right were coming to some locations in the city. Only a matter of time before someone like that involves AI-generated content in the process.

Thought there already was one with AI art :D

Google made theirs too "woke", so of course it started drawing black nazis. It's hilarious.

That's more of an issue with the models themselves and the teams within those companies trying to make them less "biased" in a sloppy way - injecting "diversity" prompts. Essentially the user prompt doesn't go directly to the underlying model but gets modified with some qualifiers to prompt "diverse" people and it ended up being ridiculous in some contexts.

Probably not long, I mean the recent riots involved some unusual agitators - IIRC someone in Pakistan and then a bunch of forwarded fake claims in local Birmingham whatsapp groups was enough to convince people that the far right were coming to some locations in the city. Only a matter of time before someone like that involves AI-generated content in the process.

That's more of an issue with the models themselves and the teams within those companies trying to make them less "biased" in a sloppy way - injecting "diversity" prompts. Essentially the user prompt doesn't go directly to the underlying model but gets modified with some qualifiers to prompt "diverse" people and it ended up being ridiculous in some contexts.

Yea but it was sort of a metaphor for the whole "diversity" movement lol. Question it and prepare to show your papers...

AI is getting better and better so fast I've even questioned some of the latest AI images I've seen.

Let alone videos, text documents etc etc.

Won't be long before it's impossible for humans to discern real vs fake.

I just read the following article.

And whilst I take the article at face value plainly once positions harden people don't always change there mind when presented with evidence to the contrary. I was just wondering how long until we truely or falsely have a major incident in the UK where someone uses AI wither to commit a major fraud on the public or as an excuse for some percieved wrongdoing? I'm also wondering if it has alrady happned without us notcing.

I've had a lot of fun with midjourney making images and a microsoft product at work has been useful for finding badly stored and collated data. But the risks of AI are plainly moving much faster than society's ability to come to terms with them. I mean social media has been around for more than a decade and we still haven't as a society come to terms with bad actors poisoning the well of public discourse.

Unfortunately AI had probably already had a big impact. Twitter is overrun with bots from foreign agents spreading propaganda. Sometimes it is so blatant you see OpenAI API errors like rate limiting in the tweet.

While genAI was probably not a big component, AI in some forms was almost certainly used for the pro-Brexit propaganda from the Russians.

Already been fake AI videos pretending to be Sadiq Khan etc.. not a question of when lol
I'm not suggesting it isn't already happening but I can't say I'm aware of a major UK controversey yet. The divisiveness of modern political discourse makes me think some lone bad actor will get lucky with something sooner or later.

Just need to train the public in cynicism when presented with a dubious scenario proven by trustmebro on social media.

The media with a name worth having have had to filter fakes and mistaken identity forever, AI is just another form of fakery to double check.

We're lucky the rise of stupidity of politicians and the rise of AI have coincided so it's almost irrelevant whether it's AI or not, it's probably stupid/rage bait.

Just need to train the public in cynicism when presented with a dubious scenario proven by trustmebro on social media.

The media with a name worth having have had to filter fakes and mistaken identity forever, AI is just another form of fakery to double check.
The issue is the dO yOuR rEsEaRcH gang are at full maturity.

The issue is the dO yOuR rEsEaRcH gang are at full maturity.
My CT nut Australian uncle was over here for 6 weeks, and the last time we went to dinner he tried to tell me Michelle Obama is a transgender man and that the children were adopted as there are no photos of her pregnant.

We just laughed and asked if there was any pictures of his wife (my auntie) when she was pregnant in the 80's to prove my nieces were theirs...which there aren't.

I think there will be some government procurement fiasco blamed on AI at some point. Someone lazy will use AI to filter down bids or something and a contract will get awarded to someone crap. West Coast trainline all over again, but with AI instead of stupid people.

I've been wondering for a while will this kill social media?

I've written this a few times.

If we can't tell what's real/fake what's the appeal of it? I'm already fairly bored of the staged videos. Enhanced travel pics if it's all literally someone typing will people switch off?

Or are people (kids) so addicted it doesn't even matter and it's one step closer to Virtual reality becoming more appealing than the real world?

Back
Top Bottom