How long would you expect a battery to last?

Soldato
Just looking to replace a 096 AGM battery. Bosch S5 AGM is £298 at eurocar parts (can pick up close to me) - am I missing something? RAC is suggesting a EFB battery at 216 delivered.

Just seems OTT for a good AGM battery?

Soldato
Just looking to replace a 096 AGM battery. Bosch S5 AGM is £298 at eurocar parts (can pick up close to me) - am I missing something? RAC is suggesting a EFB battery at 216 delivered.

Have you shopped around?

Soldato

You know when shopping around for a new AGM battery for my Volvo, and normally would be the last place I'd look, but actually my local Volvo dealer came out best price on a genuine Volvo OEM battery.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
have a look here: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/096-agm/

Yuasa are a good brand as are Bosch and Varta.

Most car battery brands including Bosch and Varta, except Yuasa and Exide who have their own production, are exactly the same battery bar cosmetics and the label, just different quality binning per brand, I usually go for Varta Silver if I can but the last one I bought was Yuasa due to cost/availability.

I'm not up to date on it but most brand of car battery are the exact same thing produced by companies which were owned by Brookfield Business Partners and relabelled, but just to complicate things Exide also produce some batteries for Bosch.

EDIT: Just realised I already posted the same thing in this thread before LOL.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Depends on car and usage but in the Qashqai I just stuck an Yuasa EFB battery in instead of AGM, I usually disable stop start as I find it more of a minor annoyance and not that useful on the kind of journeys I do and I tend to do reasonable distances without a lot of urban patterns.

EDIT: The Qashqai was on its second battery in 40K miles when I bought it... so far not had a problem with the Yuasa EFB I put in. Not sure what the original was but the second one was a cheap brand and trashed - I can only assume by the stop start system. When I bought it they'd just tested it at 75% health but it was struggling to hold 12V after a full charge not long after.

Last edited:
Associate
I only usually get 2 or 3 years out of my motorbike batteries because of not many miles done and infrequent use. However this year i bought a quality battery charger/tender so hope to get longer. Car batteries i rarely have to replace.

Soldato
I had a MK7.5 Golf GTD which at 4 Years Old had a failing EFB Battery.

Struggled to start and produced error codes, battery condition was showing fine but when measure whilst cranking the voltage plummeted.

Replaced with a Yuasa AGM Battery and when in for a service had a proper battery adaptation by VW.

Sold it 12 months later :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got my 2005 E350 back from the garage as the EML light came on and was reporting lots of undervolting errors.

Turns out the car has never had a new battery and the one that was in there was from 2004!
12 months ago i was sat in my car at click and collect and without any warning the car refused to start. this was in a 2012 nissan QQ so lasted 10 years.... i was happy with that.

gods honest truth 1 week to the day later i was sat in the click and collect at the same supermarket in our other car and , out of the blue our 2011 pug 308 died so 11 years on that one. the people at sainsburys must have thought i was having a laugh (they recognised me).

in truth i suspect the battery in the pug had been failing for a while (the eco mode "stopstart feature had been disabled for about 5 years with a fault which magically was fixed with a new battery**)...... chances are it would have lasted a little while longer but maybe attempting to jump start the QQ on it the week previously was a final nail in its coffin.

**if the stopstart really demands you replace your battery 5 years before it actually dies then that is a failed design right there!.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went with Tayna and a bosch AGM battery, delivery in a day or so. Will be weird with the S/S again. I used to switch it off with the eurotunnel ramps.

What prompted this is it’s been in “eco mode” for quite a while and yesterday after a long wait through the eurotunnel, it wouldnt start so i had to shutdown and restart. Almost like it had a low battery voltage.. original OEM battery is 6 years old. Last tome I put it on the agm compatible charger it didn’t hold much charge.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be chuffed if mine makes 10 years. It's on 7 now.

Obviously it depends, but of the numerous cars I/relatives have had with AGM's it's been about that. My Merc needed one at 9 years (it could have gone on longer, but wanted POM), my sister's Merc needed one at 8 years (again, could have gone on longer but Auto Start/Stop stopped working so they recommended replacement), my M3 needed one at 10 years, another BMW I had needed one at 10 years old, my 130i needed on at 10 years old, my dad's Volvo needed one at 11 years.

Soldato
not had much problems w/ batteries in decades, until i got a Golf. Turns out the auto stop-start hammers batteries and after getting a replacement i've since switched the feature off after a thread on a VW forum.

Back
Top Bottom