• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How low can I go? (PSU question)

Associate
So my insomnia finally paid off, and while browsing for a 7900 GRE at 2am I saw a 7900 XT Nitro+ for 8 quid new on a big retailer site (so I don't feel too guilty, listing was removed a couple of hours later), bought it and its on its way to me now.
So assuming its not a brick (will video me opening it just in case it is.. lol), I was wondering if I will be able to use it on my Thermaltake 630w PSU with a 5800x if I enable its silent/low power bios until I can get something better sorted? I don't really want to order a PSU ahead of time in case I do receive said brick :D

Soldato
I would set the power limit(in AMD driver software) to -15 and downclock it. I do this with my 6900XT and it runs games fine using < 120W.

Associate
OP
Cheers, guys, I assume its safe to power it on and check its fine, and then order a better PSU, any recommendations for around 100?

And yeah 8 quid (10 euros), clearly a pricing error, or I'm going to get a brick, or as my mates recon, a keychain of the GPU :D Lets see!

Man of Honour
Cheers, guys, I assume its safe to power it on and check its fine, and then order a better PSU, any recommendations for around 100?

And yeah 8 quid (10 euros), clearly a pricing error, or I'm going to get a brick, or as my mates recon, a keychain of the GPU :D Lets see!
Gets an 8 quid bargain, immediately buys a £100 PSU. Don't you love PCs? I think you should get a 5800X3D next, 'cos.. you know, bottlenecks ;) :D

OCUK have the RMx 750 at exactly £100, it is the old model, but that doesn't matter for your 7900 Nitro.

Seasonic's GX-850 is £20 more, but again that is the old model.

The SHIFT is Corsair's updated ATX 3.0/PCIE 5.0 PSU with a 16 pin for the newer nvidia cards, but it will only fit if your case supports the side-mounted cables.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £443.92 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£135 (incl. VAT)
£100 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£140 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£135 (incl. VAT)
£105 (incl. VAT)
£150 (incl. VAT)
£119 (incl. VAT)
Last edited:
Caporegime

Its not pretty but what you're looking for in a PSU is safe, reliable and high quality, that's what you get with SeaSonic.
750 Watts is plenty, i run an RX 7800 XT overclocked and a Ryzen 5800X on a 7 years old SeaSonic 650 Watt PSU

It is available else where...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers guys, my PC stays firmly under the table and receives regular kicks, so pretty is not high on my requirements list, have heard of Seasonic so will go with them. Now just waiting to see what actually arrives :D

Back
Top Bottom