How many 140 sized rads ?

Associate
Plan to build a new system based on the TR4 3960X and a RTX3090 and both will be liquid cooled on a single loop.
What size of 140mm radiators I should look to, if planning to OC the CPU ?
Would like to add more than needed just to run fans at lower rpm and prioritizing quietness.

Case not yet decided...probably a TT Core W200...but can change based on better suggestion.
Need at least 3 SSD + 3 HDD.

Thanks !

Associate
Why have you chosen 140mm rads if you have not decided on the case? Got fans?

I'd pick a case THEN pick a rad size / number if not.

Associate

100% correct, you will limit yourself quite badly if you plan your build on a predetermined Rad size, I know I've gimped myself on that front with my obsession for 480mm rads.
2 360 rads will be fine for cooling those components.
the TT Core W200 is a humungous case, I can suggest that you have a look at Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2, a case I wish I had gotten instead of the 719

Associate
OP

Because 140 fans for the same amount of air pressure and flow, run slower and as a consequence less noisy...
I think that for an optimal cooling result the priority should be the radiators needed and then based on thst decision I will choose the case thst can host that system...
Why choose a case first when then you have to make compromises, instead of planning a suitable copling solution and then find a case where you can install it ?
Anyway... the case probably would be the Phanteks Elite...the W200 I cjanged my mind since the shop where I ordered, called me back and said the cost of the case was almost the double of what i already paid.... for that price I can buy the Elite...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
100% correct, you will limit yourself quite badly if you plan your build on a predetermined Rad size, I know I've gimped myself on that front with my obsession for 480mm rads.
2 360 rads will be fine for cooling those components.
the TT Core W200 is a humungous case, I can suggest that you have a look at Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2, a case I wish I had gotten instead of the 719
You believe that 2 360 rads would be enough for a OC'd 3960X?
Don't plan to OC the GPU...there's no sense...
Just want a suitable cooling solution for this CPU...

Associate
Well I mention that, because I went for the Enthoo 719 thinking I could fit 2 480mm radiators in there, turns out it's not entirely true, as they have to be slim, and you can only mount push/pull on 1 of them as a result.
I get you want quietest possible, and that bigger fans means less rpm=less noise. It's the very reason I am running 960mm's of Radiators and I have my fans barely spinning as the sheer radiator space is cooling a lot.
Just wanted to give you an alternative look at how else you could start your build off.
Edit: Sorry I thought you wanted a 3950x cooled, yeah, you're going to need a monster pair of 480/420 to cool those and keep it quiet

Associate
Corsair do 2 monsterous cases in the 900D and 1000D that can take massive radiators and fans, and have lots of storage space for HDD's SSD.

Associate
OP
Well I mention that, because I went for the Enthoo 719 thinking I could fit 2 480mm radiators in there, turns out it's not entirely true, as they have to be slim, and you can only mount push/pull on 1 of them as a result.
I get you want quietest possible, and that bigger fans means less rpm=less noise. It's the very reason I am running 960mm's of Radiators and I have my fans barely spinning as the sheer radiator space is cooling a lot.
Just wanted to give you an alternative look at how else you could start your build off.
Edit: Sorry I thought you wanted a 3950x cooled, yeah, you're going to need a monster pair of 480/420 to cool those and keep it quiet
Thanks for the goid information... yes..I looked at many builds of this type of CPU...and many even use Monsta type if rads..... I am no expert by any mean since I always used air coolers.. this will be my first custom loop... but man how difficult calculate the right amount if rad surface needed...no clear answers, no clear data...
The Phanteks 719 was one of the choice but read about the poor clearance on the top...
Problem is to find a case that can host the suitable cooling system and having enough space for at least 3 SSD and 3 HDD...
I believe the Elite can do that.
I looked at the Corsair 1000d... Nice big case... but I don't like that much all that glass around the case...

Thinking about the Phanteks Elite... could go with a 420GTX on top, another 420GTX at the bottom and even a 560GTS at the front...
Might be overkill....maybe all GTS instead of the GTX ?
I saw a spreadsheet where it stated that for a delta 5°C with the pump running at 0.5GPM i would need between 8 snd 10 140mm fans.... but don't know if it is realistic or not... no experience to being able to judge...

Associate
The Elite is a monstrous tower. I don't think you'll run out of space for radiators.
Fan speeds once you get to a certain amount of radiator space isn't going to matter that much as you will hit diminishing returns with 3 radiators of that size. 2 x 420 and a 560 you could easily have your rtx 3090 overclocked on that loop.
1 thing about slim rads like the GTS, it's probably better to use a thicker GTX rad unless you have to just for the sake of keeping a higher flowrate. The monsta rads are popular, because they are large and have a low fin density meaning that fans don't have to be that fast to cool effectively. less fan speed=less noise.
The Black Ice GTX rads from hardwarelabs are optimized for sub 800rpm fans which makes them virtually silent.
planning a loop and build is daunting and fun, take your time, and feel free to ask questions, there's always people happy to give you help and advice if you need it.

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for the good advises.
What you mean for diminishing returns ? In any case, with the setup I mentioned, I will be able to do push-pull only with the GTX on the bottom...on top is not possible, the push fan would cover the MB..
In the front spot, the reason to go with a GTS is just for clearance with the other two GTX, and maybe even for leaving enough space for the SSD and HDD on the sliding panel...
Do you think that one D5 pump would be enough for this custom loop ?

Associate
Tbh, I would go 480 at top, 480 at bottom, and if not enough 360 at front.
By diminishing returns accept the fact you will never cool lower than the ambient temperature of your room with just water cooling alone. At some point you will reach z level where the radiator space and fans barely make a difference in temperature to your system.
So be realistic about how much heat you will need to manage in your system and then is the priority silence, or having the lowest temps?
With do much radiator space you don't need to push pull every radiator, a single d5 will be enough, I'm pretty sure Overclockers will answer any questions they have about https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-elite-super-tower-case-black-ca-06d-pt.html

I also like to keep my ssds out of sight so use the mounting slots behind the motherboard to mount my 2 data ssds, and I have 1 m.2 on my motherboard.

Associate
OP
Thanks for explaining the diminishing return...
Yes, that's what I was thinking...will try 420GTX on top and bottom and see what I got...
Look for the build MyDeep at pc part picker....same case, a 3970X CPU, two TITAN RTX...with the following radiators:
Nexxxos ST45 420 bottom push pull
Nexxxos ST30 420 top push
EKWB SE 560 front pull
Under load the CPU reach a max temp of 55C...I would be ecstatic for a similar result...
So, I think that 2x GTX 420 should be enough...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom