How many Hard drives can this system have?

Man of Honour
Looking at this to replace my current system and I have 2 extra HDs in my current one. Can the new system have space for my older drives?
Keep in mind many modern cases have dual purpose 3.5 or 2.5 bays and it means you can only use one, i.e. if you place 2x 3.5 drives in the available bays, then you'd only have 1x bay left for a 2.5 SSD.

If you buy a prebuild you'd also need to be aware that it needs a SATA power connector if you're plugging these drives in yourself and I don't know how many spare modular cables OCUK supply with these builds.

Soldato
OP
Keep in mind many modern cases have dual purpose 3.5 or 2.5 bays and it means you can only use one, i.e. if you place 2x 3.5 drives in the available bays, then you'd only have 1x bay left for a 2.5 SSD.

If you buy a prebuild you'd also need to be aware that it needs a SATA power connector if you're plugging these drives in yourself and I don't know how many spare modular cables OCUK supply with these builds.
I do have spare sata cables plus i would be using the current cables. I have 2 x 3.5 drives and 1 2.5 ssd whihc would be kept in the current system.

Soldato
The manual shows mounting points for three of either type, although it's not specific as to how well they might mix & match.
If you need more, you can usually find ways of adding extra 3½" HDD and especially 2½" SSDs, as the latter don't care which way up they go. Pretty much anywhere you can screw or cable-tie the drives to. Unused fan grilles are a good example.

I do have spare sata cables plus i would be using the current cables. I have 2 x 3.5 drives and 1 2.5 ssd whihc would be kept in the current system.
SATA data cables, or SATA power cables?
If the latter, you may find they're not suitable for this PSU, even if they're of the same brand, as the pinouts can differ and you risk shorting/breaking/blowing up components.

Your only real limit is the number of SATA power cables available and SATA data ports on the motherboard, which I cannot immediately identify from the shop photos, but looks to also have a second M.2 slot if you still need further space. If you don't have enough SATA power cables, you could look to the USBs on the mobo I/O panel and those on the case itself, which can instead facilitate the HDD/SSDs in external enclosures. I don't know if eSATA is still a thing, but I believe that would offer a similar, faster external option if you have such ports.

Soldato
OP
The manual shows mounting points for three of either type, although it's not specific as to how well they might mix & match.
If you need more, you can usually find ways of adding extra 3½" HDD and especially 2½" SSDs, as the latter don't care which way up they go. Pretty much anywhere you can screw or cable-tie the drives to. Unused fan grilles are a good example.

SATA data cables, or SATA power cables?
If the latter, you may find they're not suitable for this PSU, even if they're of the same brand, as the pinouts can differ and you risk shorting/breaking/blowing up components.

Your only real limit is the number of SATA power cables available and SATA data ports on the motherboard, which I cannot immediately identify from the shop photos, but looks to also have a second M.2 slot if you still need further space. If you don't have enough SATA power cables, you could look to the USBs on the mobo I/O panel and those on the case itself, which can instead facilitate the HDD/SSDs in external enclosures. I don't know if eSATA is still a thing, but I believe that would offer a similar, faster external option if you have such ports.
There's only one cable connecting my drives to current mobo if that helps

Associate
Having just rammed a HDD as well as 2 SSDs into my NR200 ITX case, there's ways to jerry rig as many hard drives as you're brave/reckless enough to attempt

Soldato
I have a similar question regarding the Graphite

Not really stated in the spec how many HD bays the case has or how many SATA connections on the Mobo. The supplied 1Tb SSD not going to cut it for serious gamers so would be looking to swap in two if not all three of the mechanical drives in my current PC.

I mean the box is a nice price, far cheaper than what one of the main competitors is asking for something with a lesser spec. But no point if that comes with a catch of not being very customisable.

Like many I'm in the boat that my current PC is not Win 11 compatible, can't be upgraded to make it so and therefore while not immediately under the gun it will be surprising how quickly October next year will come. And it's not going to be ideal running Win 10 with no security updates on a PC used for online banking and various e-commerce!

Man of Honour
Not really stated in the spec how many HD bays the case has
This wording is confusing, but it looks like you can have 2x 3.5" and 2x 2.5", or 3x 2.5" and 1x 3.5".

This space supports ATX PSUs up to 220mm long. In addition to this, there are four drive brackets included within the scope of delivery. Two of these brackets are toolless and designed for 3.5" HDDs, whilst the other two are for 2.5" SSDs. There are three possible locations where you can mount the SSDs.

or how many SATA connections on the Mobo
I would assume 4x SATA and 2x M.2, since that is by far the most common combination, but 3x M.2 is possible. There are a very small number of boards with only 2x SATA, but I doubt OCUK would fit one of those.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Tetras. Though looking at the spec for the Graphite it only has 16Gb of RAM which TBA for a gaming machine ought to be looking at 32Gb. Personally I would trade off the GTX 4060 for a 3060 in return for the extra RAM and a 2Gb mechanical drive for the same price, if anyone from OCUK reads these threads...

Man of Honour
Thanks Tetras. Though looking at the spec for the Graphite it only has 16Gb of RAM which TBA for a gaming machine ought to be looking at 32Gb. Personally I would trade off the GTX 4060 for a 3060 in return for the extra RAM and a 2Gb mechanical drive for the same price, if anyone from OCUK reads these threads...
I can get close to matching what you asked for (in this and the other thread) as a DIY build, but a prebuild would add a lot to the cost and it'd be nowhere near £1200.

The DVD drive would need to be an external one with this spec, there are cases that still include a drive, but they're getting pretty rare.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,150.79 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Man of Honour
That's not a bad spec actually. Have noted it down. I assume the water cooler isn't strictly necessary and an air fan would suffice?
Yeah, a peerless assassin or phantom spirit (~£35) can cool these CPUs, but OCUK don't sell them so I assume you couldn't send that in as a spec.

Soldato
Thinking now I may go for a rebuild to keep the price down, motherboard, I7 CPU and DDR4 RAM (probably a new PSU too), try and bring in under £500. Then go for a new GPU next year as presumably Win 11 won't complain about a GTX 1650.

Associate
That's not a bad spec actually. Have noted it down. I assume the water cooler isn't strictly necessary and an air fan would suffice?
Tetras is extremely helpful, but why not go with an AM4 high end build,it would save you a fair bit of cash. I'm about to be Oliver twist,so ignore me until tetras chimes in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom