How many nights a week can I let someone stay in my home?

Associate
Ok, to elaborate on that question:

I have a friend who spends a lot of time at my house, but im worried about how many nights per week, he is legally alowed to stay in my home.
He doesn't pay me any rent, or any money to stay, and he doesn't claim any kind of benefits under my address.
From my understanding, under those circumstances, he is free to stay in my home for as long as I allow him to.

Is that right? or have a missed something?

Cheers.

Soldato
Do you rent? Check the terms of your lease.

Do you pay full council tax? If your paying none or a reduced rate check if his status effects this.

Do either of you claim benefits at any address? If so check with the relevant agencies.

Other than that and as long as you've asked your mum if it's okay you should be fine.

Soldato
I see no reason why he wouldn't be allowed to stay in your place. I'm not sure when it comes to paying the council tax etc if you pay only for 1 person atm and if he stay at your place permanently then you might have to pay more, if its just for few weeks or months then I see no issue at all.

Associate
OP
well he does pay rent for his own home, and he claimed job seekers under his own address, so its not like he is homeless or anything, he just chooses to spend all his time at my place.

Soldato
If he's not working either it won't effect council tax.

But his JSA may be effected depending on his circumstances, your circumstances and if they decide to say he lives with you. Ask job seekers.

Your lease may not allow it. Ask your landlord, you really should have a copy of what you signed though.

Associate
Why do you care? If he's a good friend who you enjoy the company of then there should be no issue. Unless you want money out of him there is no issue. Nobody is gonna suddenly turn up and do anything about it. You live there (rented or not) do as you please with guests, as long as you're not harbouring swathes of them and or not letting illegals stay.

Associate
Why do you care? If he's a good friend who you enjoy the company of then there should be no issue. Unless you want money out of him there is no issue. Nobody is gonna suddenly turn up and do anything about it. You live there (rented or not) do as you please with guests, as long as you're not harbouring swathes of them and or not letting illegals stay.

Yes but if they are both claiming benefits it could be construed as co-habiting which you can be done for.

Soldato

You say that but what about when the landlord asks them to leave or asks for increased rent due to increased occupancy (unusual but I doubt it's an illegal contract term).

What if it effects the benefits they receive and somebody decides to tell tales (next door neighbour? We all have enemies). They could find themselves with a tidy sum to pay back.

If it's your own home and you pay your own way you are right, nobodies business, but if not you would be wise not to fall foul of any rules you may not know about lest it bite you on the bum later.

Associate
OP
Thats what I thought. It's only began to worry me because I invited a few friends over a few nights ago for a bbq, and the grumpy old goat that lives next door decided to report me to social services, for anti social behaviour, claiming that I have lodgers and I make too much noise etc.

Soldato
i think your 'friend' is allowed 2/3 nights a week from a benefits perspective otherwise it may affect your council tax single occupancy discount, etc.
ring your local council and ask, don't have to give your name :)

Back
Top Bottom