How many plugs can i plug into a single double socket?

Caporegime
Im guess im asking how much power/current can be drawn?

i know there is a limit from the breaker but im not sure what exactly affects it and how much i may be using..

items plugged in..
pc - 850W PSU
monitors - maybe 200W
hifi
tank heater - im guessing negligible draw
a couple of chargers

about to add
subwoofer - ?W
av receiver

am i worrying over nothing?

Soldato
I'm guessing you're doing it from something like this

No hotlinking

Should be ok, I have Computer, monitor, speakers+sub, telephone, printer on one.

I would advise plugging them into a different socket if possible, or get one of the manual switches extender

Like this
No hotlinking

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
yes i was thinking about buying one a bit more heavy duty if i need to, the PC is plugged into the wall with everything else [up to now] plugged into the adapter

i know some people have tri fire etc with PSUs at the 1200W range so im hoping im ok

from a quick and very rough add up in my head i think if the pc was actually at 850W [which it obviously isnt] i would be hitting near 1200W if everything was on.

Caporegime
OP
really? a kettle is 2KW? thats my fact of the day!

good stuff, nothing to worry about, but i will now need a higher quantity multi plug!

Permabanned
I got a nice £20 belkin surge protecting extendor with 8 plug socets that work off one wall socket.

Perfect for my PC and other bits, 4 sockets was never enough.

Man of Honour
I would advise plugging them into a different socket if possible, or get one of the manual switches extender

Like this
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/PL10499-40.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's not going to help increase the capacity that a single socket can take in terms of power draw though because it's still going through a single plug with a max of a 13A fuse. Switching the appliances off individually might be a nice touch but it's not actually going to affect anything much.

However with that said I'd agree that it's unlikely to be a problem here and if you can spread the load out to separate wall sockets then so much the better.

Also please don't hotlink images, just in case they notice and change it to something nasty.

Associate
Uk mains Voltage tolerance of 230 V +10%/−6% (216.2 V to 253 V), widened to 230 V ±10% (207 V to 253 V) in 2008.
Watts = Amps x Volts = 13a x 230v = 2990w = 3KW ;)

Back
Top Bottom