How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just to bump this...

I’ve upgraded an older 3B+ and replaced it with 3x 4Bs. I was finding the older model limited with all the tasks I was trying to do and wanted to have some redundancy if the unifi controller ever fell over.

Toyed with the idea of getting some more of the older models but decided that getting multiple more powerful units would give me a bit of future-proofing, plus the gigabit Ethernet is nice too :)

Pi1 - PiHole DNS 1, Unifi controller
Pi2 - PiHole DNS 2, backup unifi controller
Pi3 - Download box and OpenVPN gateway
Pi4 (3B+) - Projects and tinkering

Soldato
Bought a waveshare ethernet controller hat for the zero and have used that for a pihole set up, next is to see about putting the scroll phat HD ontop to make a readout of the queries/blocked and percentages :)

[edit] i'm setting up my old PC as a plex server which frees up the 3b+ for a web server.

Soldato
Do any of you run MotionEye OS or similar? I had a Pi Zero W running pretty happily, but have recently upgraded my WiFi to a Tenda Nova mesh system, and have reflashed the Pi with MotionEye, and it doesn't now seem to find the network. Any ideas?

Caporegime
Do any of you run MotionEye OS or similar? I had a Pi Zero W running pretty happily, but have recently upgraded my WiFi to a Tenda Nova mesh system, and have reflashed the Pi with MotionEye, and it doesn't now seem to find the network. Any ideas?

Don't know anything about the Tenda system but make sure you have a/b/g/n enabled and not just ac as the zero doesn't support that. Might be worth making a separate SSID on 2.4Ghz to see if it connects.

Associate
Just to bump this...

I’ve upgraded an older 3B+ and replaced it with 3x 4Bs. I was finding the older model limited with all the tasks I was trying to do and wanted to have some redundancy if the unifi controller ever fell over.

Toyed with the idea of getting some more of the older models but decided that getting multiple more powerful units would give me a bit of future-proofing, plus the gigabit Ethernet is nice too :)

Pi1 - PiHole DNS 1, Unifi controller
Pi2 - PiHole DNS 2, backup unifi controller
Pi3 - Download box and OpenVPN gateway
Pi4 (3B+) - Projects and tinkering

Can you please explain Pi3 in more detail in terms of how it is used?

Why is everyone using Plex these days?

Soldato
Plex is good to have media on that can be played around the house. I'm currently having some issues with 4K playback on some but not all titles. I'm not sure what the issue I'm having is.

Soldato
As far as I am aware, Kodi is just a player? I'm using mine as a Plex Server.

HDD attached to Pi that is connected to WiFi. That can then serve all my Plex clients around the house.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why is it better than Kodi?

@EVH Please elaborate on Pi3 - Download box and OpenVPN gateway
I’ve upgraded to 4x Pi 4s.

Without going in to details that particular pi runs PiVPN with WireGuard which allows me to easily VPN in to the network from anywhere in the world. You configure access through a QR code in the terminal and scan it using a WireGuard app on your phone... done in 20 seconds max.

All I can say about the download bit is that it runs qBittorrent, NZBget, sonarr and Radarr. The rest you’ll have to use your Google skills for :p

I run a 40TB Synology NAS with all my Blu-ray rips, TV shows and music, but I use an Intel NUC10i7FNK running Ubuntu 20.04 server as my Plex server as it’s a minimal footprint, is independent of the NAS (so that it doesn’t all fall over at once) and has all the CPU I need.

Shared folders on the NAS are set up and shared with the NUC and the Pis using NFS as I’ve found samba is marginally slower and I can customise the permissions to a granular level.

Oh and the 4th Pi now runs HOOBS which is a “home bridge out of the box” image that allows non-HomeKit devices such as my ring video doorbell and nest thermostats etc to join the Apple home ecosystem which I use. Works very well and the dedicated image is flashed and ready to go in seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm trying out Jellyfin on the Pi as a media server to an Xbox.

Which type of overclock will be more beneficial on the Pi to speed things up a bit, CPU or GPU?
I'm just having some buffering issues when initially loading and scrubbing

Caporegime
I’ve upgraded to 4x Pi 4s.

Without going in to details that particular pi runs PiVPN with WireGuard which allows me to easily VPN in to the network from anywhere in the world. You configure access through a QR code in the terminal and scan it using a WireGuard app on your phone... done in 20 seconds max.

All I can say about the download bit is that it runs qBittorrent, NZBget, sonarr and Radarr. The rest you’ll have to use your Google skills for :p

I run a 40TB Synology NAS with all my Blu-ray rips, TV shows and music, but I use an Intel NUC10i7FNK running Ubuntu 20.04 server as my Plex server as it’s a minimal footprint, is independent of the NAS (so that it doesn’t all fall over at once) and has all the CPU I need.

Shared folders on the NAS are set up and shared with the NUC and the Pis using NFS as I’ve found samba is marginally slower and I can customise the permissions to a granular level.

Oh and the 4th Pi now runs HOOBS which is a “home bridge out of the box” image that allows non-HomeKit devices such as my ring video doorbell and nest thermostats etc to join the Apple home ecosystem which I use. Works very well and the dedicated image is flashed and ready to go in seconds.

Who is your vpn provider?

Back
Top Bottom