How much battery life should I expect from this?

Soldato
I want to start a new project that will require me to film my activities for a couple of hours out in the countryside. I currently own a OnePlus 6, but the two things that worry me are battery life and how much video I can store on the internal storage (I have the 128GB model). I'll only be filming in 1080p 30fps.

I'm quite keen to do a test run, but I'm thinking it might be worth getting a phone with a bigger battery and an SD card slot so I can store more video footage.

What do you think? Or maybe I should be looking at a dedicated video camera for this particular use case? I'm still in the planning stage. Budget is fairly flexible.

Soldato
Would it not be a better job for something like a GoPro that lets you switch out batteries and SD cards as needed? Also depending what you're doing can easily fit it into a chest harness or helmet so have your hands free, of course no idea if that's useful in this case.

Soldato
OP
Would it not be a better job for something like a GoPro that lets you switch out batteries and SD cards as needed?

Hmmm. That is a good idea. I had never considered that before. Is there anything special I need to know about the GoPro? I'll be editing it in Adobe Premier with maybe a little work in Adobe After Effects and Adobe Audition. Is the microphone decent on it? I'll need to record my voice while I'm walking around in the great outdoors.

Soldato
OP
OK. Just watched a review of a GoPro on YouTube and it looks pretty impressive. If I could get one with the head strap accessory, it would be almost perfect. I'll have to do some thinking about this. Thank you for the suggestion.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Well, it certainly seems like the Go Pro Hero 7 Black is the one I want. If I record in 1080p 30fps the battery life should be good enough.

Thank you all.

Official batteries are under £20 as well, can always get an extra one to swap out while "out in the field".

Soldato
OP
I think what I have decided to do is the following. The GoPro is definitely the right option for the job but at the same time I can't really afford £400 on something that I am not sure will work out so in the meantime I'd like to get the highest possible capacity power bank for my OnePlus 6 so I can record for 4 to 6 hours at 720p at 30fps.

I'm looking for recommendations. I found a 6700mah one on another website, but I'm not sure if anything better is available.

Back
Top Bottom