How much braid??

Associate
Hello guys!!

So, now I got some money I want to braid my cables!!

However, I don't know what I need and how much to get. So that's why I come to you guys!!

The cables I want to braid:
  • 24pin ATX
  • 8pin CPU
  • 6pin GPU
  • SATA Power x2
  • Maybe more that I can't remember... :p (Getting pre-braided SATA data cables :) )

I know that I need 3/4mm braiding for them, but how much?!? PSU is a Corsair HX650, I would get the pre-braided sets but they are expensive and that means I didn't do it! Also, I want blue braid :p

There are kits on *censored :p* which have various sizes included.

Also, I need heatshrink so a help on heatshrink will be appreciated too :)

Thanks in advance,
Cam.

Soldato
My advice would be paracord, cheaper, looks nicer unless your going with mdpc stuff in which case isn't cheaper than pre braided corsair either, you can do a no shrink method as well that looks a lot cleaner.

here is mine, I just took the picture there on my phone so its poor and the flash gives it a shine that isn't there
IMG_20121126_000928.jpg

this is it when it was delivered, in daylight. a much better representation of its colour.
IMG_20121107_125501.jpg

Here is one form the net.
20120502194740.jpg

I braided a 24 pin atx connector, 8 pin power connector and 2x 6 pin pcie cable on my corsair hx520 and not extensions for £12.60 with about 60 feet of the 250 I got left, be warned though unless you plan to do single sata leads you need shrink tube to daisy chain them.

Its a little bit more finicky at first than braid but after a few leads it just becomes routine.

I will take some more photos tomorrow in decent light if you like.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks buddy :cool:

So ok, I'll take a look at paracord. Is it just as easy as braiding after the first few tries? And I'm guessing 250 feet is the length of cord you got?

I will take a look around and see what I can find :) EDIT: Just found some 550 paracord in the UK, 100ft for £5. Nice! Can you tell me what the 550 means though?? Is it do to with the thickness or something??

Also, my PSU has the 8 pin and 24 pin unmodular and is braided with black stuff that it came with. If I take this off and for some reason I have to send it back, does it matter if the braid is on the wires or not? That's my only concern..

Thanks for the help mate. More pics will be nice :) I like pictures haha

Thanks again,
Cam.

Last edited:
Soldato
ok, basically the 550 is the breaking strain of the cord, the stuff i used is '550 Paracord US Gov't Contractor GSA Compliant - Black/blue.

It is £3.25 for 50 feet and i can vouch for the quality of the black, i have read that some blacks that are cheap tend to be more of a grey color and look very fabricy with small frays all over so stick to stuff people can vouch for, its cheap but you still dont want to waist any money really for the sake of 75p odd extra per 50 feet.

Braiding is just the same except you need to cover the end of the cable connectors with a little tape when you insert it through as it will catch inside on the material, nothing major to do but a royal pain if you dont.

a how to to give you an idea.

And yes unfortunately any braiding to the psu cables will void warranty. my psu is getting on now so not something i was worried about but thats down to you really.

Like i say its a little more tricky to start with and melting the end has to be fast and slight to stop you getting a lump of malton plastic that is harder to push back into the connector, if this happens you just cut it off and do it again so no biggy really.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm, ok. Not sure about the braiding now :( Could get the Corsair sets but they are so expensive :(

The modular cables might be ok as it will be easier to take the braid off and if I have to send it back the cables just won't be flat? I'm not sure about it all now :(

Back
Top Bottom