How much do you use yours?

I bought the Rift 2nd hand from a friend in October last year. I played it almost every day for extended periods up until around Christmas. I have not even powered it up this year. I find myself just playing the Division 2 and other flat screen type games.

Anyone else found the novelty wear off quite quickly and not really use it now?

Soldato
Nope, use mine at least a couple of times a week though there have been periods where I've not touched it for a month or so but usually I'm not playing anything else then either.

Soldato
Normally an hour or two a day, though it varies. More at weekends. Almost stopped pancake gaming (i.e. 2D gaming) completely now.

I have a properly mounted 3 sensor setup so it's easy just to pick up the headset off its holder behind my monitor, pick up the controllers, put it on and I'm in VR.

Soldato
I think the problem is that my rift is in my home theatre room and I’m lazy. So at the end of the day the choice is vr vs 2d game vs a film vs game of thrones.

Soldato
I dont my DK2 headset much, I get spells that I use it quite a bit tho..... I have just got myself a 49" super ultrawide monitor, so I'll be using the DK2 even less now.

Soldato
Forums like this are probably not statistically representative of the 'average' dabbler in VR, and I think the relative quiet on the VR front in the wider tech world tells us most of what we need to know.

I was warned before I caved in, but I suspect I'm like most folk... in total awe for a few weeks (as my gushing input to a few threads here showed at the time), then the awe starts to rub off and the relaxed, faff-free appeal of 2D comes back. So I can't remember the last time I plugged mine in, and I got sick of trying to make sound work through my headphones or speakers after I'd had it installed.

If I'm honest, as much as I still absolutely love the immersion of Google Earth, and flight or driving sims, I really don't like wearing a headset and I probably didn't persevere for long enough to get though the slight feeling of 'unwellness' which developed after half an hour or so (which is about as long as my face wants to be squeezed). But I think VR is amazing and keep the darned thing in case a 'must have' experience comes along.

I still think everyone needs to try VR, it's just that most folk only need to borrow a headset for a while. What impresses me more now is when I get off this highly convenient, quiet, and 'good enough' gaming laptop (960M) and go fire up the desktop wind machine in my room. I forget how impressive a big monitor is sometimes, let alone VR! :)

Soldato
Friction is the biggest issue. For me it's easy - my Rift is permanently setup. I can put the headset on, pick the controllers up and go. Others have to mess around setting up every time, consequently they play much less. This is why the Oculus Quest (and to a lesser extent the Rift S) are important, as they have much less friction involved with using them. I think the Quest is the best chance for VR to go mainstream yet.

Associate
I've had my rift for about 17 months. When I first set it up it was a nightmare due to USB slots and issues with updates and because I was on Windows 7 had to manually install them. After I sorted it all it was around Christmas time. Well I used it around them and must admit it was another 12 months before I picked it up again. Just lately I've installed steam vr and I'm still learning the basics. I've made a promise to myself to really use it now and if I'm honest evertime I put it on it just drags me in and amazes me what it does. I recall want to get in to lone echo... The reason I didn't use it for such a long time was mostly down to lack of time not interest. Other things where needind my time so gaming took a bit of a back seat. In all honesty I feel that this year the more I use the rift the more I'm going to want to use it....i don't not for one minute regret buying the rift at all..... The Mrs might argus the point but let's just ignore her... Lol....

Soldato
I've had my rift for about 17 months. When I first set it up it was a nightmare due to USB slots and issues with updates and because I was on Windows 7 had to manually install them. After I sorted it all it was around Christmas time. Well I used it around them and must admit it was another 12 months before I picked it up again. Just lately I've installed steam vr and I'm still learning the basics. I've made a promise to myself to really use it now and if I'm honest evertime I put it on it just drags me in and amazes me what it does. I recall want to get in to lone echo... The reason I didn't use it for such a long time was mostly down to lack of time not interest. Other things where needind my time so gaming took a bit of a back seat. In all honesty I feel that this year the more I use the rift the more I'm going to want to use it....i don't not for one minute regret buying the rift at all..... The Mrs might argus the point but let's just ignore her... Lol....

Yeah, I struggle to really get into any 2D FPS after playing Robo Recall or Superhot. The actual act of throwing or picking up your gun, aiming not with some little crosshair but an actual gun. Its all quite incredible and the pull in to that is amazing.

The main reason I haven't personally used mine as much is because the killer apps are still all 2D games apart from SkyrimVR and Fallout 4.

Soldato
I used my CV1 exactly twice. Lovely piece of kit, but I didn’t have the space in our old house to set it up properly and I needed corrective inserts to get a good focus as my reading glasses didn’t fit under the headset.

Soldato
I suppose it really depends what you want out of VR. I"ve been playing/flying this http://eaglelander3d.com/ for a good number of years. The developer announced a VR version is in the pipeline, so I got a rift. The demo he released of the Lunar Module cockpit orbiting the moon is amazing. ( Videos on youtube) I've got the Apollo 11 VR experience and in HD. also the Go for launch Mercury spacecraft sim. When ELVR comes out in a month or so, you'll not get the headset off me.

Soldato
Yeah, I struggle to really get into any 2D FPS after playing Robo Recall or Superhot. The actual act of throwing or picking up your gun, aiming not with some little crosshair but an actual gun. Its all quite incredible and the pull in to that is amazing.

That's what I've found since playing Firewall: Zero Hour, Superhot,etc on my PSVR. Being able to literally hold a gun, aim down the sights and move around freely is a revolution. I don't seem me ever wanting to go back and play something like Halo or Call of Duty on a TV using a controller/mouse again.

Similarly, VR has ruined race/flight games like Forza for me. Having tried a few in VR it's so much better being actually seated in the cockpit. It even helps when driving as you can more accurately judge distance and breaking for corners/obstacles. I have the latest Halo/Forza games on my Xbox and I've hardly played them at all as they seem so limited next to what VR offers!

I use mine several times a week and I'd say around 75% of my gaming this year and last has been in VR.

Soldato
That's what I've found since playing Firewall: Zero Hour, Superhot,etc on my PSVR. Being able to literally hold a gun, aim down the sights and move around freely is a revolution. I don't seem me ever wanting to go back and play something like Halo or Call of Duty on a TV using a controller/mouse again.

Similarly, VR has ruined race/flight games like Forza for me. Having tried a few in VR it's so much better being actually seated in the cockpit. It even helps when driving as you can more accurately judge distance and breaking for corners/obstacles. I have the latest Halo/Forza games on my Xbox and I've hardly played them at all as they seem so limited next to what VR offers!

I use mine several times a week and I'd say around 75% of my gaming this year and last has been in VR.

Ahhh Fire Wall Zero Hour.

I really really really don't see how people can go from playing FWZH to ANY FPS shooter which involves working as a team after that.

I honestly felt so amazed playing that with people. I genuinely wanted to save my team mates, I genuinly was anxious during my first few matches as a newbie to the squad and I loved watching people better than me on my team destroy. And then helping out as a security camera was awesome too.

That game was just so fatally flawed by its lobby scheme and loading times. I'm sure I spent way too long waiting rather than playing. Also the upgrade system IMO was way too powerful so newer players would find it hard or impossible against higher levelled players. For a game which has a small playerbase, its not a great idea.

Sony really should have given them a lot more money to refine the online infrastructure and they should have marketted it as the VR-COD.

It also should have had a proper single player campaign. So much missed oppurtunity in a wonderful and amazing game.

TBH I've never really enjoyed racing games at all on a monitor apart from Mario Kart. I played Wipeout on PSVR and it was... fun. And I normally don't find racing games fun in single player.

No 2D horror game will EVER scare me how RE7VR has. I still haven't completed it. Its just so god damn amazing. AMAZING. And its not even a hand tracked VR title yet its still leagues above anything I've watched. I remmeber on the first level ur wife or whatever goes a bit crazy and vanishes. I was in the kitchen area. Looked behind me and saw her freaking shadow walking in the other direction and i was like GOD NO PLEASE LORD. my sister played it for a little and i remember when she was swimming in a level a dead body pulled up infront of her and she freaked out.

Its funny how once a developer nails a genre for VR, it just makes 2D games so insignificant. Sadly, its rare for them to do it. I'm still waiting on the RPG front. I think any game requiring inventory management and text will never ever translate well to VR.

I haven't tried Hellblade yet but I'd also like to think any third person game or game requiring refined perfect control of characters (like Dark Souls) will always remain 2D as a top tier experience.

Associate
Not as much as I should. I do think it's amazing and the whole family has enjoyed it every time we've had a go, but we don't have dedicated space for it. The main PC is in the dining room, so in order to make space to use the rift, we need to move chairs and table and dogs crate etc.
Also got too much RL needs sorting out so don't really have the time. Really wanting to give Skyrim a play through but it'll have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom