How much fluid?

Associate
So it's nearing build time for my X99 rig, and I'm still uhmming and arring about a few parts of my first water-cooling loop.

Namely, do I need more than 1L of fluid? I intend to buy some Mayhems X1 UV red premix. The FAQ in this forum says 1L is okay for a simple CPU loop, but is it enough for 45x360mm and 60x240mm rads, 150ml res, in the moderately large 750D? Not adding GPUs to the loop currently.

Oh and another thing, should I use quick disconnects to drain and/or add a GPU later on?

Last edited:
Associate
With 45x480mm, 30x240mm, ~100ml res in an Enthoo Primo I used just under 1L of coolant (1xCPU block, 2xVGA blocks).

You might scrape by with 1L, but I'd recommend you getting 2L since you'll need some extra after bleeding and it'll need topping up as time goes on.

Edit: Just seen you're only doing the CPU. 1L should suffice I would have thought.

Soldato
The easiest way to find out would be to build your loop and then fill it with fluid and see how much you use. Battery top up water is suitable for WC loops and is what I use + mayhems pastel dye for 24/7 use. It's also incredibly cheap at around 5L for £3 so you can use it generously, filling and draining as you plan your loop.

My sig build used about 500ml of fluid.

Quick disconnects aren't a necessity - I had space and budget concerns so haven't used them. Draining my loop isn't the easiest thing but it is not that hard. Just requires some time.

Associate
1l might be enough, and you could probably dilute a little with DI water at a push..

But if you're spending this much to do the job, may as well do it right I'd have thought?

I suppose it depends how patient you are! An extra day waiting for a second litre to arrive with no operational rig may drive some to insanity! *ahem*

Back
Top Bottom