How much of a real worl issue is OLED burn in?

Associate
I keep looking at getting myself a new monitor (currently running a 1440p 27" Dell ultrasharp @ 60Hz...), and wondering if it's worth getting OLED. The main thing that bothers me, is I work from home on my screens, so will probably spend a greater amount of time using the screen for work & therefore I'm concerned about the potential for burn in. How much of a real world issue is it? Do the protection systems built into some screens actually work?

It's getting less of a worry
Since they've been out some time now
So there's reviews after a year,2 years etc usage

And msi,asus,gigabyte
Now followed dell with 3 year burn in warranty
Though in the case of dell
Not sure about the other manufacturers
It's 1 time for burn in only
Any warranty replacement won't have burn in cover

Another option could be mini led
No burn in and works better in bright light environments
If that's an issue
Anything with a higher refresh rate after using 60hz
Will feel like a big step up
Regardless of panel type

Must admit been eying up an oled
But a lot of money for 321URX I want

It was something that put me off OLED, especially gaming. Despite spending hundreds of hours with static HUDs I’ve got no evidence of it. Plus you can take precautions like hiding the taskbar, no static wallpaper etc

I still dont trust them, there are companies who sell returned TV`s, phones and tablets with OLED screens and there seems to be two or three common faults that they have.

A line going vertically the entire height of the screen seems to still be a thing on modern OLEDs even though that fault seems to have been around since the start of OLED.

Last edited:
It was something that put me off OLED, especially gaming. Despite spending hundreds of hours with static HUDs I’ve got no evidence of it. Plus you can take precautions like hiding the taskbar, no static wallpaper etc
That's what I have done. Black background on desktop, or using wallpaper engine with a completely animated background, and hidding the taskbar with the added mod of running TranslucentTB to make it, well translucent, and getting rid of the 1-2 pixel line at the bottom when hidden.

It's getting less of a worry
Since they've been out some time now
So there's reviews after a year,2 years etc usage

And msi,asus,gigabyte
Now followed dell with 3 year burn in warranty
Though in the case of dell
Not sure about the other manufacturers
It's 1 time for burn in only
Any warranty replacement won't have burn in cover

Another option could be mini led
No burn in and works better in bright light environments
If that's an issue
Anything with a higher refresh rate after using 60hz
Will feel like a big step up
Regardless of panel type

Must admit been eying up an oled
But a lot of money for 321URX I want
THat's kind of the point I'm at. A few years in, these sort of issues tend to be far less of an issue, but is still something that's there.

Mini LED is definitely a better backlight tech, but it's still an IPS, or VA panel etc, so the corresponding issues with those (IPS glow etc) are still there.

Really looking forward to finally getting something >60Hz, just want to do it justice properly, as I don't intend to change on a regular basis (current screens are probably ~10 years old, as they're really decent screens & other than the 60Hz limit, I'm not sure I'd bother changing them).

That's what I have done. Black background on desktop, or using wallpaper engine with a completely animated background, and hidding the taskbar with the added mod of running TranslucentTB to make it, well translucent, and getting rid of the 1-2 pixel line at the bottom when hidden.

That's the sort of thing I was wondering if it's particularly important, but my bigger concern would be the title bar, office ribbon etc, as they're less feasible to hide.

It depends what you're doing with the display. For gaming and dynamic content it's not really something to worry about.

Productivity is another thing entirely.

That's the problem I have, as it's going to be mixed use. I will probably be using it for productivity the most, but I'm reluctant to buy something specifically for that, as I don't like spending my own money for things for work.

It's tempting to try and fit 2 computer setups on the desk, so I can use an OLED for my personal machine for gaming etc, but don't use it for my work machine.

I have a mini led
Ips glow and blooming
Can honestly say never noticed any
Though I don't sit with a pure black screen
Or other worst case scenarios
Some reviews go a bit far in my opinion
Showing things thar are beyond real
Life usage

Doesn't help though
There's not really many places to go see
Monitors in person
The few shops you can tend to be very bright
Which isn't ideal to view oled etc

I’m not worried about OLED burn in. The only thing I’ve done to combat it is to have the monitor go into standby after three minutes of inactivity.

Back
Top Bottom