How often do you guys change PSU?

Associate
If its a good quality power supply its probably fine. I have a 10 year old one that's still going strong. Though I have moved it out of my main rig and into the other halfs system :p so less costly if it explodes

Associate
Good quality to start with shouldn't need to change that often, but depends on what you're building I suppose.

4 years I've been using my current one, and will only change if needed next time I need to upgrade.

Soldato
My hx620 has gotta be 9 or 10 years old now, it was expensive at the time but I bought it with long life in mind, and it's in its 3rd build,so it's doing exactly as intended!

Does depend on quality though, good quality units are expensive and lower wattage, but if you are running a fairly sane system with a single gpu, you don't really need a big wattage PSU.

Associate
OP
My hx620 has gotta be 9 or 10 years old now, it was expensive at the time but I bought it with long life in mind, and it's in its 3rd build,so it's doing exactly as intended!

Does depend on quality though, good quality units are expensive and lower wattage, but if you are running a fairly sane system with a single gpu, you don't really need a big wattage PSU.
I've got a CX600, one of the Corsair Builder Series PSU's. I understand that they are decent quality, can you agree?

Soldato
I've got a CX600, one of the Corsair Builder Series PSU's. I understand that they are decent quality, can you agree?
It's standard cheap PSU, just with Corsair brand sticker on it.
Some of those CX models haven't even truly been up to advertised wattage.
And of course electrolytic capacitors are from Chinese makers.

Would put it to parts to replace in year or two list.

And not exactly with that Super Flower suggested in your upgrade thread.
Super Flower may have gained quality brand image, but they're putting cheap parts to both Golden Green HX and Platinum King.
And not second tier parts but basically third tier parts.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF650P14PE/4.html

Associate
OP
It's standard cheap PSU, just with Corsair brand sticker on it.
Some of those CX models haven't even truly been up to advertised wattage.
And of course electrolytic capacitors are from Chinese makers.

Would put it to parts to replace in year or two list.

And not exactly with that Super Flower suggested in your upgrade thread.
Super Flower may have gained quality brand image, but they're putting cheap parts to both Golden Green HX and Platinum King.
And not second tier parts but basically third tier parts.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF650P14PE/4.html
So what PSU would you recommend? Looking for something that isn't overly expensive but don't want to cheap out on it either.

Soldato
Depends on the PSU I've got a Seasonic 1000w that I've been using for 6 years on various builds and setups and it's still going strong.

If it was on the cheap end of the scale I'd be tempted to swap when doing a full new build.

Soldato
So what PSU would you recommend? Looking for something that isn't overly expensive but don't want to cheap out on it either.
Bitfenix Formula is modern 80+ Gold DC-DC design with quality capacitors.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=bitfenix+formula
Quality capacitors using medieval 80+ Bronze designs aren't even any cheaper.
So that would be currently my budget PSU recommendation for hobbyer PC.

And now there's actually real competitition in (10 year warranty) high end PSUs with Seasonic "throwing down the gauntlet" for other with Focus Plus Gold combining top level performance and very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=seasonic+focus+plus+gold
Guess they went for unusual component layout to also make manufacturing easier.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Another question I have is whether there is a difference between modular and non-modular PSU's other than being able to remove the unnecessary cables?

Soldato
i only change psu if i get a different computer so the change is usually whats included which could be fancy or could be some standard issue if its a branded tower like dell/HP/Acer etc.

that said, i do have a 550w fully modular gold rated evga supernova GS i purchased to replace a standard issue psu(used in a system i was selling prior) that i have put back in box because i was selling that system in the end so replaced it with a hx 650w, i only got the gold rated unit because it was a very bargain price(brand new sealed, just private sale) so its a keeper, the 240w 80 plus bronze in my lenovo is standard issue, might be able to replace it, but im getting a gtx 1030 so i wont need to.

Caporegime
Coolermaster 1000w Silent Pro Gold here still going strong. Best psu I ever had tbh! Taken everything I've ever thrown at it and never broken a sweat (that includes a 290X Trifire + [email protected]! system) :cool:

edit - Had it about 5yrs

Last edited:
Associate
I have a corsair TX550m from 2012 that is still going strong, got a upgrade coming with new mobo/ram/cpu and thinking about replacing the PSU, but I think this one I have right now might be fine for another year or two. No funny noises/loudness/issues yet. Perhaps replacing then selling the old one is possible to reduce the cost.

Do people buy used PSU's? It's something I would never think of doing but perhaps someone might want to for spare parts.

Soldato
Do people buy used PSU's? It's something I would never think of doing but perhaps someone might want to for spare parts.

i have done a few times and had no issues, only problematic ones ive actually had came from bog standard units i obtained to get a certain system running, buying used is a 50/50 gamble no matter what it is and i dont just mean tech.

Associate
Corsair ax1200 still flying after 5 yrs. Prob keep it for another 5. Good quality PSUs will last at least 10 years.
I`ll keep my titanium EVGA prob even longer as it has a 10 yr warranty.
Todays high quality PSUs are on par with audiophile amps (they also deliver high currents/ wattage) that last for tens of years hence no reason why PSUs cant even be kept longer,

Back
Top Bottom