Poll: How often do you replace/upgrade your TV

How often do you replace/upgrade your TV?

• Every year

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 5+ Years

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • 10+ Years

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • When it Breaks

Votes: 52 31.7%
  • When new significant features are added (e.g. 1080P, 4K, HDR, 8K etc)

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • When any new model is available

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Bought my Samsung Plasma 50" on 30/11/2009 and it's still going strong.

Great picture, great blacks, zero screen burn and I haven't had to re-gass it yet.

See no need to replace it (yet), as it does what I want.

Soldato
I skipped the plasma stage, I couldn't get over the flickering on my parent's Panny and models I saw in shop, it was horrible. I assume this got better as the tech matured over time or required some setting tuning to get rid?

It was one of the drawbacks to Plasma TVs, this and Phosphorus trails, some people were more susceptible to it than others.

Associate
42" lcd Toshiba that had horrific black levels - or a washed out grey mess
Panny VT20
Panny VT 50
LG E7
Almost pulled the trigger on the CX oled but was reading of flicking issues at 120hz on the PS5
I'll purchase this years model of the C or G i think

Permabanned
Whenever it breaks. Had a 32 trinitron for a decade
Had a 14"crt sammy for a few. Samsung 32lcd for a year.

Had my current Sony 32 for about a year.

TV is crap so never watch it. Ps1/2 games look cak on modern TVs. Only got this one coz of ps4

Soldato
Currently have 2 x Panasonic Plasma TV's in the house. A 50" that is 11 years old, the picture to is still very good. It has a little distortion on a small portion of the screen that comes and goes - but even when its at its worst it's not bad enough to make me want to change.

Also have a 60" Panny Plasma that's still going strong - super picture so won't be changing anytime soon.

Soldato
Reads like the Plasma thread.

Bought my 42" Panasonic G10 Plasma in 2009, still going strong though I'm currently updating the lounge. Have remove the unused fire place etc. so will be replacing with a larger TV this year.
A couple of Roku's have kept it relevant so can't complain, I think I've had my moneys worth @ £700 with a panasonic BR player, 5yr warranty and half a dozen BR's bundled in.

G10 likely to live on in another room.

Had a Sony 4:3 for about 10 years before that.

Associate
Usually when it breaks here in my family with my parents. Which is hardly ever. So the TV turnover rate is actually fairly low. I believe it's been... Hmmm, 5 in total over a few decades in one household, with the most recent one starting now.

First one was stolen from us during break-in burgulary, one replacement until the tube went, then the next one lasted until 2008 when flat screen LCD/LED panels became more common and drew less power overall and had a bigger screen - so that was the only one to divert from how we typically go for TVs, we swapped for efficiency and size of screen this one time. Then it began ghosting, but was random about it, so we were on and off about replacing until it got really bad. Then finally, recently, saw some OLEDs on offer. Snagged one for replacement. And that's it really. The previous LCD/LED screen one may have lasted longer, but it's a known brand that had a well known ghosting issue which otherwise would be in direct service if it wasn't made so badly.

Soldato
Toshiba 40" 1080p had in my bedroom when i lived with grandparents and took it with me when i moved out and i only just replaced it with my grandparents old lounge tv (toshiba 49" 3dtv,) both tvs must be 10 years old. Too poor to buy my own tv but will replace it with something better hopefully next year, but who knows ill probably still be poor.

Soldato
when it breaks really - still using a 42" 1080p bravia.

still big enough for me and still looks great - honestly can't remember how old it is - 6 years at least.

a friend got a 4k LG last year and compared to mine it looks crap so i'm in no rush to buy unless mine breaks.

Back
Top Bottom