• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How often do you upgrade your CPU and Motherboard

Soldato
I was thinking about the uplift from 7xxx series Ryzen to 9xxx series which does not appear to be worth it for gamers yet. but for 5xxxx series owners it might be worth it.

Then I was also thinking how often do people upgrade, each and every time Intel/AMD release or every other or only as and when your system stops doing what you want in a timely fashion.

I have a 5800x/X570 system with 32 GB 3600 DDR4 and for the games I play I am OK, so its been 3 years now.

How about you guys ?

I tend to upgrade when I start to see performance take a hit or something fails that forces me to upgrade.

I had an I7 950 which I was happy with for years but the motherboard\CPU was giving me random BSODs and no matter what I did I could not resolve it so in 2019 I upgraded to an I7 9700k which I am still running to this day.

Recently I have had the itch to upgrade but to be honest its still a good system to use and another reason to upgrade was to turn it in to a plex server as I have been testing it on this system for a few months now without an issue.

I would say most people may upgrade every 5/6 years for gamers, sometimes longer if you are happy to turn down settings instead but there is people out there that upgrade every gen regardless as they like the new shiny shiny tech\release hype

Last edited:
Myself, I think the average for the main guts of the system is around 4 years +. I'm getting to the point where a GPU upgrade would be useful, but that will force my hand sooner than later for a new CPU as well. I last upgraded almost 5 years ago.

Trouble is, like some people I'm sure, adding in a new motherboard/system is something I prefer to put off for as long as possible, so I may take the easy way out and drop in a 5000 series CPU. Not sure, tbh.

Last edited:
I tend to upgrade when I start to see performance take a hit or something fails that forces me to upgrade.

I had an I7 950 which I was happy with for years but the motherboard\CPU was giving me random BSODs and no matter what I did I could not resolve it so in 2019 I upgraded to an I7 9700k which I am still running to this day.

Recently I have had the itch to upgrade but to be honest its still a good system to use and another reason to upgrade was to turn it in to a plex server as I have been testing it on this system for a few months now without an issue.

I would say most people may upgrade every 5/6 years for gamers, sometimes longer if you are happy to turn down settings instead but there is people out there that upgrade every gen regardless as they like the new shiny shiny tech\release hype
Every 5 years I would agree

4-5 years something like that. Sometimes I just get the itch i.e. 5800x3d to 7800x3d no real reason to upgrade just wanted something new (and with extended platform support) obviously wasn't expecting the 9xxx series to be a disappointment...

4-5 years something like that. Sometimes I just get the itch i.e. 5800x3d to 7800x3d no real reason to upgrade just wanted something new (and with extended platform support) obviously wasn't expecting the 9xxx series to be a disappointment...
If your upgrading from 5xxx series it might be a good upgrade but from a 7xxx system it doesn’t look worth it yer

My recent history would be:

Jul 2014 - i5 750
Feb 2017 - i5 2500k
Dec 2018 - 2700x
May 2023 - 7600
July 2024 - 7800X3D

The 7800X3D was just a new CPU dropped in, but with a change of circumstances coming up I'm expecting another 5 year gap unless the gaming space changes dramatically that forces my hand into upgrading!

About 5 years, went from a intel 6700k and Nvidia 1080, to my system now that upgraded to last year in October with a 7800x3d and AMD 7900xtx.

Probably won't change CPU till the final supported x3d comes up which could be in 2027 according to AMD.
GPU will get changed probably near the same time as the CPU upgrade.
More interested in a OLED super wide monitor as my next possible upgrade.

I always thought every 5 years so if you are on a 5xxx series the 9xxx series might work out well if you wait too see if these issues are resolved. Those on 7xxx series be happy

Mine varies so much.
Main system now gaming system

Sandy bridge i5 lasted for ever
Amd 3600 not long after launch
Switched to AM5 late last year 7600.

So like.... 9 years, then 2 ish hah

I just enjoy building though.
So also have a plex server (integrated cpu job), a media machine (AM4), a machine I built a relative 10 years or more ago with an AMD athlon x2, just had a x4 arrive cheap.

GPU
AMD 7770
RX470
1050ti
Vega 64
RX 6800

Maybe 4 years ish for gpu.

I suspect the gaming pc won't be touched for a while now

I use to upgrade every 3 years but these days I'll only upgrade when there's new standards that have been rolled out i.e. USB 4, PCIe gen 4/5/6 etc along with a decent uplift in CPU performance.

Can't say I'm impressed with Zen 5, I was considering moving on from my 3600 system but after seeing the reviews I'll hold off for now. Zen 6 will likely be the last main generation for AM5 making it a dead platform making it a non starter so it's either hold out for AM6 and hope AMD doesn't mess it up like they have with Zen 5 or see if Intel can deliver with Arrow lake.

I try to make my CPU last as long as possible as it’s a whole new set up.. I had a 4690k for a few years. 4790k for approx 3/4 years. Then 8700k and now 9900k. My next upgrade will be the last for at least the next 4 years.

Every 3 to 5 years, even then it's probably the CPU or GPU.

Every new CPU which comes out there is no reason to upgrade. I like it this way now.

Unlike back in the 90's and early 00's. There was a new CPU every 6 to 8 months. Then you had to keep up, fail behind a year and you would notice your system was no longer as quick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom