how often should i drain and refil my loop?

Associate
I set my loop up in december 13, just wondering how long i should leave it until i drain, flush and refil the loop.

I was thinking of a complete rebuild of the loop and adding a temp sensor+QDC's in August so i was thinking of leaving it until then unless it needs doing every 6 months or something.

I am using mayhems pre-mix i that makes any difference.

Associate
Hey
between 6 months and a year is fine. just don't leave it longer than a year and you will be all good. once it is emptied, run it with distilled water for around 24 hours just to flush it clean and then refill with any coolant of your choice!

Soldato
Hi, as a experment when l serviced my loop for the 1st time at about 6 months with a all in 1 premix + new tubing. I decicided to see how long it would go with out seeing any aliens forming or discolouration and rise in temps.

As l check my loop once a month l could see if any of the above was happening and at 6 months no change in temps, no discolouration or aliens.

To cut it short l went 2 years with the same tubing + premix and it was as clear as the day l filled the loop, tubing slightly discoloured on the inside and temps where just the same.

I checked the inside of my CPU block no corrosion but discloured due to the heat this was on my x58 build. That block is still in very good condition and still going strong as my son has my x58 now.

So thats food for thought so its upto the individual when he services his loop, as for me once a year new tubing and coolent.:)

Soldato
Hi, as a experment when l serviced my loop for the 1st time at about 6 months with a all in 1 premix + new tubing. I decicided to see how long it would go with out seeing any aliens forming or discolouration and rise in temps.

As l check my loop once a month l could see if any of the above was happening and at 6 months no change in temps, no discolouration or aliens.

To cut it short l went 2 years with the same tubing + premix and it was as clear as the day l filled the loop, tubing slightly discoloured on the inside and temps where just the same.

I checked the inside of my CPU block no corrosion but discloured due to the heat this was on my x58 build. That block is still in very good condition and still going strong as my son has my x58 now.

So thats food for thought so its upto the individual when he services his loop, as for me once a year new tubing and coolent.:)

By the book... once each year :)

But I know people keeping their loop for 3-5 years without draining them :D

So, to be honest, just drain it and flush the loop when you are unhappy with the color and saw some obvious clog in the loop.

Otherwise, leave it there and you should be fine until it's time for upgrades :D

Associate
OP
I'm tempted to add in another 290, but i don't think i have enough rads to cope with 2 x 290 and CPU.

I keep telling myself i need to drain it at 6 months so i may as well add in a card while i'm doing it lol. I've talked myself out of it though as i don't need anymore GPU grunt for what i use the computer for.

Associate
I generally only drain my loop when I need to replace/update a component, this tends to work out to be about once every 1-2 years. Usually I like to change the hose at the 2 year interval though as by this this time it's usually started to discolour. I do tend to check the fittings are tight every 6 months or so as the heat can make them loose over time.

Soldato
I would say drain, flush, and re fill once a year, and maybe check the block at the same time. You could probably get away with longer, but I think once a year is about the best compromise.

Mark

Soldato
I've had mine running for about a year and a half now and so far seems okay. Cant see no sea moss or urine stained tubing as of yet and my temps are still good.

Be interesting to see what the insides look like though lol

Soldato
Your coolant manufacturer should usually be able to tell you how often you need to change it (some have it on the label). Personally I use coolant with a 5 year interval but usually change something in my loop every year or two that requires a drain/refill anyway.

Associate
My advice would be drain the loop once your tubing has leached plasticizer. This typically happens between 3-6 months or 6-12 months depending on ambient and loop temps. Then drain and flush with distilled water.

After that you can go for years with just a top up a couple of times a year. I built a system in 2008 with Tygon tubing and the tubing discoloured and leached but after year two the coolant has been crystal clear in my system. The tubing is a bit misty and stiffer but no problem as it ain't going anywhere.

The thing that most impacts on my temp is blowing the dust out of the radiator fins from time to time.

Last edited:
Soldato
18 months in on my loop and still going strong. Running distilled water with PT-nuke and is still as clear as the day it went in and I've never topped it up.

Temps are still good to.

Back
Top Bottom