• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How ' real world noticeable' is the upgrade to RTX 3070Ti from a 2080?

Associate
I can get an RTX 3070 Ti at MSRP, and i know that the 4000 series cards are coming out later this year, but who knows what price and avaialbility will be like. I am curious to know if i will get any wow factor from this potential upgrade? I currently game at 1440p

I can sell the RTX 2080 for around £200 so that will also offset some of the cost of the 3070Ti. (And I guess what I can get for the 2080 will only continue to fall as we move closer to the 4000 series or AMD 7000 cards)

I know you can see endless benchmarks online but I was Just wondering if anyone has experience of using these two cards in real life gaming?

Cheers

Soldato
Same tier, so not a worthwhile upgrade, no wow factor. (about +30% performance)

Associate
OP
That's a useful guide you have linked there. Maybe I just wait until later and see how things stack up later in the year. I suppose these will only get cheaper even if the new cards are scarce / too expensive.

Just got a bit tempted at the thought of the 3070Ti for less than 400 once taking into account selling old card! :D

Permabanned
Same tier, so not a worthwhile upgrade, no wow factor. (about +30% performance)

You must be blind, clearly shows different tier.

Associate
You must be blind, clearly shows different tier.
Generationally they are actually the same tier.

Remember Nvidia messes with the die assignments to product SKUs so its really important you look at the die not the product name.

I believe both the 2080 and 3070Ti use the 104 die of their generation.

Is it worth the upgrade at MSRP pricing, personally I'd say not your best bet imho is to buy a used 3090 which has some warranty left on it or a 6800XT if you need a retail solution.

Permabanned
Generationally they are actually the same tier.

Remember Nvidia messes with the die assignments to product SKUs so its really important you look at the die not the product name.

I believe both the 2080 and 3070Ti use the 104 die of their generation.

Is it worth the upgrade at MSRP pricing, personally I'd say not your best bet imho is to buy a used 3090 which has some warranty left on it or a 6800XT if you need a retail solution.
We are talking about performance obviously, don't be obtuse. And the OP said 2080, not Ti.

Soldato
Yeah I wasn't functioning yesterday, wondered why the page had +30% in the same tier, answer: it doesn't. LOL

Still, I think 1 tier is not a worthwhile upgrade. 3 tiers is worthwhile.

Associate
OP
I'll keep an eye on 3080 pricing over next few months, would make sense to go up at least a couple of tiers. The AMD cards are a very attractive option price wise but was steering towards Nvidia because of DLSS which is currently more developed than FSR.

I'm not disappointed with the level of performance im getting from the card, buy I suppose we get carried away with benchmarks, and watching frames, rather than just enjoying games.

Its going to be interesting to see the pricing of the 40 Series / 7000 series cards. They certainly wont be at the old levels that the current generation launched at, most likely considerably more, especially as there will be a lot of 30 Series / 6000 series inventory around. It wouldn't make so sense for them to slash the prices on these cards too much.

Soldato
I went from a 1080 Ti to a 3070 Ti which was a decent upgrade but the Ti was power hungry and noisy for the performance so went up again to a 3080 and found that GPU to be much less stressed to get it's performance.

Both GPUs were INNO3D so similar cooler design.

Back
Top Bottom