How should i go about learning Programming

Associate
So I really like HTML, I know the basics but I never took any course.
I would like to learn Java Script, PHP, and Python.

I am a fast learner, after I understand the logic behind it I just have to remember how to use the commands.

My question is, where should I start? I finished Business administration, and I worked in sales up to now. I would like to get a course, either 1 on 1 online or videos, or a platform where they give me tasks and I can type the code and view the results.

The thing is I learn a lot faster by watching/hearning somebody explain it to me. Can you recommend any courses that would not be extremely expensive?

Associate
Anything Web related, I always use the Academind guys:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJbGtTlrDami-tDGPUV9-w

Max explains everything brilliantly and cares enough to update the courses when new features come out.

They have extended courses on Udemy which are really good too (only buy from Udemy when they are having a 'sale', courses are around £12 then - they have sales every other day!).

Soldato
The best way to learn is the hard way.

There is nothing easy in this game.

Don't be put of by failure and frustration, it's part of the process.

Study something. Build something. Try and improve it. Break it. Try and fix it.

I've used Linux Academy and Udemy but now I only use Udemy.

For Python:

I took this course and thought it was excellent. The best python course for newbies I have ever done.

I also have this in my library to do.

Udemy has a variable quality of courses but there are some gems on this platform.

I can't advise about PHP as this is not my domain. I'm a DevOps engineer not a developer but to increase my web technologies knowledge I have also purchased this.

I'm sure your find some great PHP and JavaScript courses on Udemy.

What I like about Udemy is it's a pay as you go model.

Linux Academy was costing me £240 a year. At around £12 a course on Udemy that's 20 courses a year!! :eek:

Udemy runs sales every now and then so you can get courses at around £12-14. Don't buy them out side of the sales as they are way over priced.

---

As for a development platform you can use your local PC. Install virtual box and use a virtual machine so you can create a clean env separate from your home pc. That way you can install packages etc and if things get screwed up you can just delete the virtual machine and spin up a new clean one.

Even better is install a Linux distro like Ubuntu so you can learn a little bit of Linux at the same time. If that's too much for you all at once stick to windows. But windows still requires a license even for a virtual machine.

I use Ubuntu and virtual box.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The best way to learn is the hard way.

There is nothing easy in this game.

Don't be put of by failure and frustration, it's part of the process.

Study something. Build something. Try and improve it. Break it. Try and fix it.

Agree with this as I know every outfit and their granny promotes shortcuts or condensed lessons, the best way is to stick at it and take your own pace.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
For better or worse, JavaScript is at the forefront of a lot of modern web development and seeing as you've listed that I would start there. JS will be relevant for many years to come if you're learning towards a career.

There's a ton of YouTube content out there for free but if you want a structured course you can track that is maintained regularly, take a look at Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/course/javascript-the-complete-guide-2020-beginner-advanced/

I have done a React course from this same person and rated it well. Trick with Udemy is to add to wishlist and wait for a sale. Most courses drop to £10-12 eventually.

Soldato
For better or worse, JavaScript is at the forefront of a lot of modern web development and seeing as you've listed that I would start there. JS will be relevant for many years to come if you're learning towards a career.

There's a ton of YouTube content out there for free but if you want a structured course you can track that is maintained regularly, take a look at Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/course/javascript-the-complete-guide-2020-beginner-advanced/

I have done a React course from this same person and rated it well. Trick with Udemy is to add to wishlist and wait for a sale. Most courses drop to £10-12 eventually.

I've noticed that on Udemy the courses with a 4.7 are generally the cream of the crop courses.

So this one must be pretty good.

Associate
How long do you guys who are actually devs think it would realistically take to get a job as a junior dev without a degree say with an hour or 2 of learning oer day?

And how would someone know they are ready for a job?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Portfolio, try to build up contacts, best way to get a foot in the door would be to know the companies that are hiring (especially local ones). My friend who was a self-taught 3D modeller got his chance by his girlfriend at the time introduced him to someone that worked at a local computer design company. This is one method and may get shot down by academic types, but he would have taken far longer in traditional routes applying. He did go through an interview process but they would not have looked at him otherwise.

Also recruiting changes, its far different now than it was in the 90s when I was applying on paper using a CV.

Associate
How long do you guys who are actually devs think it would realistically take to get a job as a junior dev without a degree say with an hour or 2 of learning oer day?

And how would someone know they are ready for a job?

I got fairly lucky I think 14years ago, I started coding 4months prior and managed to get a junior dev job in PHP for a company.

But best way to learn is just jump in and start trying to code something, follow some tutorials to get understanding but the real way to learn is by typing code.

Associate
Yeah thanks guys admittedly I've set out to learn coding a few times but get bored of following tutorials and never continue. should i switch from websites (which I admittedly do find boring) to something else like app development?

Associate
Yeah thanks guys admittedly I've set out to learn coding a few times but get bored of following tutorials and never continue. should i switch from websites (which I admittedly do find boring) to something else like app development?

You need to try something that interests you otherwise you will just give up again, I always find trying to build something that I find interesting helps gives you a aim.

Only issue is you just need to get your hands dirty and lots of searching/research to figure out how todo certain things.

Associate
I found Treehouse to be a great way to learn. They used to have great WordPress courses (they pulled them because they grew out of date) and I learned most of what I do on my job from them. They're work-along video courses where you build real projects, then they throw in mini quizzes and challenges here and there.

Back
Top Bottom