How technology has changed... Dell U2711 Replacement

Soldato
Just under 7 years ago I treated myself to a very expensive (income to cost ratio) monitor. A Dell U2711. It has served me impeccably with fairly light usage (I work away a lot) but a new house purchase where my desk will be on display means this thing is the equivalent of a CRT in terms of looks, size and weight.

I have no interest in video or photo editing, but am definitely a gaming enthusiast. Note - I say enthusiast but I've probably only ever put ~200 hours into a single game, max.

Is there a nice 2560x1400 monitor, that looks good in public, for a reasonable budget?

Happy with the build quality of the Dell, if they still make these things :)

Soldato
Dell S2719DGF ;)
In a lot of ways that's a massive step backward. The U2711 might be coming up to 10 years old but it has better image quality then the S2719DGF.

Just under 7 years ago I treated myself to a very expensive (income to cost ratio) monitor. A Dell U2711. It has served me impeccably with fairly light usage (I work away a lot) but a new house purchase where my desk will be on display means this thing is the equivalent of a CRT in terms of looks, size and weight.

I have no interest in video or photo editing, but am definitely a gaming enthusiast. Note - I say enthusiast but I've probably only ever put ~200 hours into a single game, max.

Is there a nice 2560x1400 monitor, that looks good in public, for a reasonable budget?

Happy with the build quality of the Dell, if they still make these things :)

I am in the same boat although my U2711 is even older. The problem is there are no good replacements. Apart from 100hz+ the U2711 seems to have all the key features of modern screens while having better image quality then most modern screens.

The LG27GL850G looks like it will match the image quality of the U2711 while having 100hz+ and its thin but its not out yet. Apart from that I have not found any suitable alternatives at 27" without curved screens.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850G-B-gaming-monitor

Associate
That LG isn't out yet. Does look very nice though, and will probably be twice the price of the Dell. A lot of money to pay for accuracy that may not be needed.
OP has stated he has no interest in video or photo editing, so ultimate colour accuracy of IPS isn't on the top of his list.
The S2719DGF looks really good if sitting in front of it, and of course due to very fast pixel response, can actually make full use of it's 144/155Hz.

Soldato
That LG isn't out yet. Does look very nice though, and will probably be twice the price of the Dell. A lot of money to pay for accuracy that may not be needed.
OP has stated he has no interest in video or photo editing, so ultimate colour accuracy of IPS isn't on the top of his list.
The S2719DGF looks really good if sitting in front of it, and of course due to very fast pixel response, can actually make full use of it's 144/155Hz.
Having been on a IPS screen I could never go back to TN like the S2719DGF. While the response time is better the S2719DGF colours are dull and look poor compared to the Dell. Its not just about colour accuracy the range of colours on the S2719DGF is tiny compared to the Dell U2711 which is noticeable when playing games. I am not sure its worth losing the great looking colours just to gain some extra FPS.

Though I do agree the response time and hz rating on the Dell U2711 are low hence why I want to upgrade.

Associate
@Pottsey don't knock it til you've tried it. I was genuinely anxious that I'd made a silly decision to get a TN after a history of decent IPS panels, but after adjusting the gamma in Windows colour settings it looks very good next to my IPS. The better TN panels have definitely come along well! Yes there is vertical gamma shift like any TN but it's very subtle. Horizontal viewing angles are much better than expected. The lack of IPS glow is pleasing to the eye.

@dLockers I can imagine the LG will turn out to be a cracking monitor, IPS and high refresh with pixel response not too far behind a TN, but at a guess it'll be priced at £600+
If you can wait it'll be worth it I'm sure, more accurate colours, probably support for 10bit colour, and no vertical gamma shift.

Caporegime
Also a u2711 owner
Would never ever ever go TN. Not seen one that touched a IPS yet .

I'm probably going with the dell U3419w but it is super expensive.
Dunno what else I'd pick to be honest

What is this new LG ?

Soldato
I used to have a Dell U2410 (the 24” version of what you’ve been using)

The CCFL backlight in these older models still has the edge over LED IPS panels (no backlight bleed, better blacks and more evenly lit across the panel)

I now own a U3417W and while it’s taken some compromise in regard to the above, it runs so much cooler than U2410 did. I found sitting in front of the U2410, especially while gaming I’d be comfortable one minute then sitting in my pants the next. Between the heat from the monitor and the heat from the PC the room became unbearably hot quickly.

The brightness of the U3417W is much less retina burning and much more comfortable to sit in front for extended periods of time despite having a few negatives.

While it will take some compromise I would say you can’t go wrong with the new 27” Dell IPS LED panels. Little to no bezel and the thin design makes them beautiful to have on your desk and amazing to work on.

Don’t overthink it if you need a new monitor as the search can and will go on forever.

Soldato
I gave up thinking and worrying. Switched from a Dell ultra-sharp to the Dell S2719DGF.

More than happy with my "massive step backwards", its a cracking monitor.

I thought it was going to be awful and an instant return as it was a mere t.n.

My Ultrasharp had great color accuracy, unfortunately that is not matched by the accuracy of my imagination in regard to speculating about modern t.n. panels,

I proved to be highly inaccurate.

99% accuracy in terms of coverage of the nightmare zone.

0-10% accuracy in terms of coverage of reality.

Soldato
The Dell S2719DG(F) is a fantastic monitor for gaming in terms of responsiveness. I've never really owned high end IPS displays and taken much notice of colour accuracy so it's not really something that has ever bothered me. Although I do need to calibrate my monitor as it does look noticeably different compared to my 2nd monitor which is IPS.

Soldato
Responsiveness, lack of blur and clarity with the t.n.

Degree of uncertainty if you are use to I.P.S, you have to sit down and use one and its not going to be for everyone. Element of risk, its not an I.P.S screen nor is it the t.n. of old.

It certainly is not the massive down grade in image quality I thought it would be.

Associate
If u game a lot then I would also check out 3440x1440p 100hz+ ultrawides, the experience is way better than on any 16:9 unless all you do is play counterstrike.

Soldato
There is a lot of talk about colour accuracy but it’s not just accuracy you lose by going back to a TN like the S2719DG. Monitors like the S2719DG have a narrow range of colours and display a limited amount of colours on the screen at once which can lead to banding and loss in detail. Some people don’t notice this but many cannot go back to TN screens after a IPS. Part of it does come down to what games you play as some are more noticeable then others. What really did it for me was playing Killing Floor 1 in the underground nightclub map. There was a massive difference, that’s why I couldn’t go back to a TN again. That's not to say the S2719DG is rubbish its just people looking for new monitors need to be aware of the limitations in case it does effect them.

Soldato

What I had. Response was an issue in games, its not terrible but not great. Switched to the S2719DG.

Having the eyes and perception of peasant I prefer the t.n. in 99% of games to the U2715h. Its a much better experience.

U2715h Great monitor for work/ image editing, casual gaming on the side. Can pick them up for a decent price as well.

A lot of what is being said about modern t.n panels does not reflect in any way the experience of living with one.

If I switch back to gaming on my older I.P.S panel, banding and loss of detail would be an issue I would have to live with again in at least two of the games I play currently.

Fortunately the switch to t.n. resolved that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I decided on the Dell S2721DGFA in the end. I hope I made the right choice. A bit concerned at lack of connectivity (HDMI and DP only) - I use the DVI-D and a USB-C converter to get my work laptop to display native res. Fingers crossed. Any thoughts?

Soldato
Increase productivity with an ultrawide such as:

Philips 439P9H

or

AOC AGON AG493UCX

Both have USB-C and KVM switches so you can use them with a desktop and have easy docking with a laptop with DP over USB-C.

If you don't need something of this size then look at the 3440 x 1440 resolution, something like a 34".

Iiyama G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 34"
Iiyama G-MASTER GB3466WQSU-B1 34"

AOC CU34G2/BK 34"

Gigabyte 34" G34WQC-EK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom