How the hell do you change the icon

Soldato
Trying to change the mail icon by copy and paste method, so downloaded a PNG but when i load up info the icon is a PNG file icon not the actual image so when i copy and paste it, mac mail actually gets a png icon :mad:

Jet

Jet

Soldato
It needs to be a .ico file I think.

And I don't think you can change the Mail icon via copy and paste. If you want to change it go to Applications, right-click on Mail and Show Package Contents, go to Resources, find the icon and swap it for the one you want.

Soldato
stamp-20071122-055740.jpg

Follow what Jet instructed, you need to replace "app.icns" then close the window, drag Mail out of the Dock and drag the newly updated Mail into the Dock.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
out of interest, when people have done this is the main icon the blue stamp, but the smaller one in the applications section of finder (and the one in the "Get Info" window) the orange stamp?

is an icns file a sort of package containing two images or something like that? i used the .icns files from the link above... (couldn't really see how you'd do it with png files so didn't download them...)

I've also noticed that you can in fact do the copy and paste thing from the "Get Info" windows but it doesnt work with those british stamp icons cuz when you get info the icon is not infact the stamp icon but the generic ICNS logo icon. i did a test and copied the coconut battery logo to mail and it worked without fault... so mail is not the problem when doing this its that the icons get info doesnt display the proper contents...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom