How Thermal Compound Spreads

Soldato
Ah, fair enough. I stand corrected.

The mix is at 62 degrees load, so it's not the end of the world combining them. I'd be interested in a source showing that they are worse mixed than either separate, as this doesn't make any obvious sense to me.

Soldato
For i7's it is supposedly best to use the line method as shown in this pic:

i7_dipicting_tim_across_the_chip.jpg

Soldato
Ah, fair enough. I stand corrected.

The mix is at 62 degrees load, so it's not the end of the world combining them. I'd be interested in a source showing that they are worse mixed than either separate, as this doesn't make any obvious sense to me.

The only way to find out is to test each one and then test differing mixtures of both. The test would have to be pretty exact to get any measurable difference I would have thought. The concern I have is with mixing compounds together when we do not have the component ingredients to hand. One may react with another creating a corrosive or adhesive substance. Improbable but not impossible. Either way, its is very unlikely that mixing two separate compounds together will result in an increased level of thermal conductivity, so unless you haven't got quite enough of either I don't see the point.

Soldato
I ran out of one of them partway through mounting :)

I agree that mixing is generally not a sensible idea, but I don't see it causing harm in this case. Perhaps I'll find something terrible when I take the block off again, but I think it'll be alright. I agree with your assessment of the reasons against.

Oh, re: other thread, only undergraduate so far. Thermofluids pretty much perfectly covers water cooling, it's my failure to apply it more than the subject being inappropriate

Back
Top Bottom