How to ask about the salary via email?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Good news. But did you tell them your current salary before they told you what they can offer? ;)
Yes, I turned down the offer due to the fact, I would be massively underpaid. My job search is continuing, I'm getting interviews so that's good. It might sound like I'm being picky, but I'm just trying to get around the same salary I had before.

I have 2 interviews next week, I only apply for few roles at a time to not get them mixed up. It wouldn't look good on me either, if I applied to a number of ads at a time.

Soldato
It might sound like I'm being picky, but I'm just trying to get around the same salary I had before.
That's not picky at all. But you should be aiming to increase your salary at the very least by inflation, obviously preferably much more given the current economic climate. My girlfriend is insistent she doesn't want any more money in a new job; I keep having to remind her that she's actually getting poorer every year due to rent rises, inflation etc.

And by the way, get used to answering any questions about salary with "I'm looking for something in the region of XXX". Never, ever tell anyone what you are currently on as it only tempts them to force you back down towards it. It only benefits unscrupulous employers, rather than honest ones who are ready to pay what you actually deserve.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
That's not picky at all. But you should be aiming to increase your salary at the very least by inflation, obviously preferably much more given the current economic climate. My girlfriend is insistent she doesn't want any more money in a new job; I keep having to remind her that she's actually getting poorer every year due to rent rises, inflation etc.

And by the way, get used to answering any questions about salary with "I'm looking for something in the region of XXX". Never, ever tell anyone what you are currently on as it only tempts them to force you back down towards it. It only benefits unscrupulous employers, rather than honest ones who are ready to pay what you actually deserve.
The plan is to get out there again and either stay for a bit in the company until promotion or move on. I don't want to be stuck without the opportunity to move up, like I did in the previous company I worked for... all the offices within my field of work were outside UK.

Last edited:
Caporegime

^^^this

I think that is solid advice if you're on less in the current job, the exception perhaps being where you know you're on a good wage and you want to make sure they give you a raise above it else the whole process is a waste of time.

it is a bit odd that at the low end and in the case of public sector jobs employers are quite transparent, whereas commonly in the private sector they're completely opaque and play silly games etc.. but then surprisingly some employers, especially those who have quite convoluted interview processes, can be quite up front about how much they'll pay as their recruitment process is expensive in terms of time for them too.

Back
Top Bottom