How to break your 5D Mark II in a split second

sid

sid

Soldato
The lens focuses the laser on the sensor so will break it for sure.
Collimated beams without the lense are fine if power levels are not silly.

sid

Soldato
Ouch! Strange in the second video though that as the camera moved and the laser moved back again it didn't create more damage? I would've expected to see multiple "lines" across the sensor from each time the laser sweeped across? :confused:

Associate
Ouch! Strange in the second video though that as the camera moved and the laser moved back again it didn't create more damage? I would've expected to see multiple "lines" across the sensor from each time the laser sweeped across? :confused:

If you freeze frame, then you will see that in the sweep that caused the problem, the laser is exactly in the middle of the frame pointing directly at the camera. It looks to me that you can get away with an angled strike, but directly on is the problem.

Andrew

sid

sid

Soldato
I am surprised by that, Its just that the energy of these lasers is extremely low as they need to be eye safe so we are talking sub milliwatt levels and its streaked in space as well. I really dont' think the sensor is that sensitive. If you can image focusing sunlight is much much higher power levels on the sensor.

Associate
I am surprised by that, Its just that the energy of these lasers is extremely low as they need to be eye safe so we are talking sub milliwatt levels and its streaked in space as well. I really dont' think the sensor is that sensitive. If you can image focusing sunlight is much much higher power levels on the sensor.

Im sure ive seen (not literally) Lasers from 250mW easily up to ~8W in shows? I think that would do it ;)

Associate
It will only do this is your using live view or video. If your shooting stills this will simply burn your eyes (unless your lucky enough to have the shutter open during the passing of the beam, then it will do exactly the same thing as it did with the video, but at least it spares your eyes...)

I saw a you've been framed style show the other day where a wedding photographer is walking backwards shooting down the aisle, until he trips and falls backwards with 2 cameras into a pool.
Took out a lot of expensive equipment in one foul swoop.

I doubt much (if any) of that stuff died... perhaps the one that got submerged for a few seconds might've died, but I doubt the lenses died, the other camera only spashed in so that'll certainly live.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom