How to configure 2 AP's + repeater

Soldato
Hi, need a little help please.

I have 1 wireless AP in my flat, the signal is repeated by a wireless repeater to the garage, on the same network further away there is another AP hanging off a switch.

I have the 2 AP's set to the same SSID and password and channel, not sure what channel the repeater is on. The 2 AP's are out of range of each other.

Is this correctly set up? I tried with a laptop and it worked good, seamless wireless connection all over.

Only problem I have is my iPhone 4 won't remember the password, every time I come to use it I have to go in the wireless settings and enter the password, anyone know why this is? I tried a HTC phone and it seemed to work ok.

Soldato
OP
It seems to be working now, I reset the network settings on the iphone.

The 2 AP's are different makes but it should be ok right?

If anyone spots anything wrong here please let me know.

Thanks

Associate
as long as the two APs are completely out of range of each other then being on the same channel should be ok. i have two APs but their coverage overlaps so i have them setup on different channels but same SSID and WPA password - the laptop connects to the strongest signal of the two. if they were on the same channel i think they would interfere with each other

Soldato
It's all a case of non-overlapping channels.

802.11b/g (2.4ghz band) has 3 non-ovelapping channels - (1,6,11), however the european standard allows for 4 (1,5,9 and 13)

802.11a (5ghz band) has 23 non-overlapping channels.

Essentially when deploying multiple access points in the same cell each one should be on a non-overlapping channel otherwise you will halve the overall bandwidth of the cell due to competing signals from each AP, if you deploy AP's correctly you will multiply the bandwidth of the cell ie: 3 AP's in Cell @ 54Mb/s = theoretical 162Mb/s cell bandwidth.

So yes if you AP's are near each other, set one of them to channel 1 and the other to 6.

Also remember that when you use a repeater you will again halve the avaliable bandwidth for connected clients:

For example Server- - - - - - AP#1 @54Mb/s - - - - - - Reapeater @54Mb/s----------AP#2 @54Mb/s--------Client

The client will only be able to receive and transmit @ a theoretical 27Mb/s as the reapeater has to altenate between send/receive (half duplex)

Using the same SSID, Encryption and Authentication scheme on each AP will achieve basic client roaming.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

The 2 AP's on the same channel are out of range of each other, the repeater is set to auto so I guess it will set a non-overlapping channel itself.

All seems to be working ok anyway.

Back
Top Bottom