• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to confirm Graphics cards broke?

Soldato
Afternoon, I have an old PC.. i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard, 6gig ram and an AMD 7950 gpu.

Lately the pc crashes to a black or corrupted screen every time I try to play a game. Obviously I'm not trying to play anything too advanced.. Cities, Oblivion and Football Manager. Oblivion crashes as soon as I try to go outside, Cities crashes instantly, and Football Manager crashes when a game starts.

I did think maybe it was a driver issue, so have tried 3 different drivers, same outcome.

Also after I reset it after a crash I get horizontal lines across the screen on all the startup screens.

I've also tried putting the card into a different pci slot, same thing happens.

I'm guessing the card is broke, is there a way to confirm this? I know its an old PC, i'll be building my first water cooled system soon.

Soldato
OP
Long shot, but you could try replacing the thermal paste. Maybe it's become particularly degraded for some reason.

Do you mean thermal paste on the GPU? I never realised that was a thing! That has reminded me that I redid the paste on the cpu right before this started to happen, so maybe that wasn't applied well enough.

Have you monitored GPU temps? You can install GPU-Z for this if not already.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I had GPU-Z open the last few times it crashed, and didn't see any high temps or any sudden raises.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I feel like doing that to the whole PC, i've basically been nursing it through life for about 5 years!

Can't say I never got my moneys worth from it though.*

*This is helping justify an approx 3k spend on my next machine.
I would try replacing thermal paste on the graphics card and make sure the graphics card and pc is dust free and all fans are working.

Also I like to do a clean install of windows when I cannot resolve an issue. Usually works. Apart from that, just buy a cheap card from members market to keep you going until you upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I would try replacing thermal paste on the graphics card and make sure the graphics card and pc is dust free and all fans are working.

Also I like to do a clean install of windows when I cannot resolve an issue. Usually works. Apart from that, just buy a cheap card from members market to keep you going until you upgrade.

Funnily enough this problem started after I installed a fan controller to make sure all fans were running. At the same time I reinstalled windows 10, cleaned away all the dust and redid the cpu.

I'm going to order some thermal paste for the gpu and cpu.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Back
Top Bottom