How to connect AV Receiver, TV and GPU (Graphics card)

Associate
So I have a Onkyo TX-NR646, Samsung HDR 4K LCD and RTX 3090.

Using a HDMI 2.1 cable I plugged my RTX 3090 to the gaming input on my receiver, and then i connected another HDMI 2.1 cable from my receiver to my TV using OUT MAIN ARC.

I get 4K resolution and 5.1 sound, however I have lost the option in windows 10 for HDR.

If I connect my RTX 3090 directly to the TV I have HDR 4K but obviously don't have my 5.1.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how I get 5.1, HDR 4K to both work?

Using Windows 10 with latest patch and latest graphics card drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help, it's bugging the hell out of me.

doc

doc

Associate
I have a similar setup and avoid such problems by using two HDMI cables.

One from 3090 to TV and a second from 3090 to Amp. Just avoid putting a HDMI from AMP to to TV or things can get very confusing.

Associate
OP
I have a similar setup and avoid such problems by using two HDMI cables.

One from 3090 to TV and a second from 3090 to Amp. Just avoid putting a HDMI from AMP to to TV or things can get very confusing.

I guess you have a custom 3090 as mine has only one HDMI port. It's bugging me because i recently moved home and had everything working just fine before. I should have taken photos but i'm sure i've set up the cables the same way.

Associate
OP
The manual does say HDR supported, Have you got the latest firmware or have tried it just in case?
https://www.onkyousa.com/search/TX-NR646?download=TX-NR646

Yeah I've got the latest firmware for the tv and receiver. I honestly used to be able to select HDR, now if i click on display settings it only shows windows hd colour settings. I used to have the HDR tab. The only thing i've changed are the HDMI cables from 2.0 to 2.1 and these cables are certified. It's really bugging me.

If i connect the cable directly from my RTX 3090 to my TV then the HDR setting is back. It's an issue going through the receiver but i didn't used to have this problem.

Anymore suggestions?

Soldato
I guess you have a custom 3090 as mine has only one HDMI port. It's bugging me because i recently moved home and had everything working just fine before. I should have taken photos but i'm sure i've set up the cables the same way.

You should be able to run a DP > HDMI cable or adapter to either your TV or receiver.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A quick look and have you tried in 1 - 3 as these inputs support hdcp (just a thought while I gather mine lol)

YOU BEAUTY - I hadn't, I just tried it in 1 and then checked and boom, HDR is back and i can use 4K and 5.1

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

doc

doc

Associate

Nope, I just use a £10 Displayport to HDMI convertor. Native HDMI goes to TV, Displayport convertor to AMP. Works well.

Back
Top Bottom